Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need help weaning

Default Need help weaning

I am a 30 year old, first time mother of an 8 week old beautiful baby girl. I breastfeed exclusively. At 2 weeks postpartum i unexpectintly started my period. I called the dr and he was not concerned. At that time i bleed a moderate menstral cycle for 8-10 days. At 6 weeks my doctor prescribed a progesterone based birth control pill (even first time moms still enjoy there partners) at that time i started bleeding again. This time the bleeding was more severe and is still going on, 3 weeks later. I am preparing to go back to work and ready to wean. I also hope a estrogen based bc pill may help the bleeding. I need some tips on how to wean my new precious baby. Please help.

Default Re: Need help weaning

Hi. So I am confused. Do you think this bleeding is connected to you breastfeeding?

Way too lazy for formula

hello and I am wondering what you feel your cycle returning has to do with breastfeeding? Do you think it means you can't produce enough milk? Have you considered pumping while at work so your baby can have your milk while away from you and would you be interested in continuing your nursing relationship while together?

Congratulations on your baby!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*dawnerpass View Post
    I am a 30 year old, first time mother of an 8 week old beautiful baby girl. I breastfeed exclusively. At 2 weeks postpartum i unexpectintly started my period.
    Are you still bleeding now? I think that at 2 weeks it probably wasn't your period but just part of natural lochia which lasts 6 weeks and sometimes a bit longer. It might seem just like a heavy period too!

Congrats on your baby. I hope you continue to breastfeed and talk to your doctor about other options besides an estrogen BCP pill. Have you looked into an IUD? The Mirena is GREAT for controlling heavy periods and is breastfeeding friendly. Good luck momma and welcome to LLL!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*green.momma View Post
    Are you still bleeding now? I think that at 2 weeks it probably wasn't your period but just part of natural lochia which lasts 6 weeks and sometimes a bit longer. It might seem just like a heavy period too!
    That's what I was going to suggest. With my first baby my bleeding lasted 8 weeks with several stops and starts.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I'm with the other mamas- the bleeding you are experiencing is probably NOT connected to breastfeeding, since breastfeeding tends to suppress the menstrual cycle. The pill- both the progesterone-only or estrogen-progesterone combo versions- is associated with "breakthrough bleeding" (bleeding between periods or longer than normal periods), especially when you're just starting out on it. The wacky periods you're having may be associated with the pill.

Exploring other birth control options with your doctor is a good idea if what you're using right now isn't working for you. Planned Parenthood maintains a FAQ on commonly available birth control options. There may be something there that you hadn't considered, and many of the options on the list are totally compatible with breastfeeding. I think you can even take the estrogen-progesterone combination pill while breastfeeding, although if I remember correctly it is more likely to result in supply problems. (Someone please correct me if I am wrong!)

Do you want to wean, or do you feel like you need to wean your baby due to your need for birth control or because of your work schedule?

If you want to wean from breastfeeding, here's one way to go about it: reduce the number of nursing sessions by one session every few days, replacing that feeding with a bottle of formula or, preferably, expressed milk. While reducing number of feeding sessions per day, stay alert for plugged ducts and mastitis. If you are getting a lot of plugged ducts, you may need to slow the pace of weaning down a bit.

I know combining working and breastfeeding is hard, and many moms have trouble finding time, space, and permission to pump. However, if you can find a way to make it work it's really worthwhile to do so- not just because of the health benefits that accrue to both you and the baby, but because breastfeeding really does become more and more pleasant and useful with time. Here are some possibilities:
    - Breastfeed when you are with your baby, and pump at work, so baby gets breastmilk in a bottle from her caregivers.
    - Combo feeding: breastfeed only when you are with your baby, and have caregivers feed your baby formula when you are at work. Your body will adjust and produce enough milk for your baby when it is needed.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"