Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: One side more than the other?

Default One side more than the other?

I am not sure if I have 'less' on the left side, but for a few points:
    1- before nursing my left side was always bigger than my right. Now it changed drastically
    2- my right side always (seems) to have much more bec. baby is sucking and swallowing more vigorously. I think my let-down is faster on the right.
    3- the left gets softer faster as he is nursing
    4- the left used leak much more often, but now basically only when he is nursing on the right side. then the left leaks.

What can I do to make it more evenly distributed?

Default Re: One side more than the other?

It's totally normal to have one breast produce more than the other. If this has led to an uncomfortable lopsidedness, you could try beginning all feedings on the smaller side for a while, or keep alternating which breast you offer first but pump the underachieving side in addition to nursing. These steps should help even out production between sides.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Mine is 4 months old and I have never been able to fix this! I try to pump on the left side in between feedings and everything and I can consistently only get .5 to 1.0 oz. whereas on the right side I can get 3.0 oz. or more... Sometimes when I put her on the left she will cry and hit me and grab at the skin like DARNIT!!!Where is the Milk!! Poor thing. Maybe I'm not trying hard enough? I can't start her on the left all of the time, she has a friggin cow and gets so upset she can't eat, but I do switch back and forth each time???

So, I haven't tried pumping between feedings bec. I just don't have the extra time, but I've been starting on the lesser side (left) 2-3 times in a row then once starting on the right side.
    I think I may be seeing some improvement, but I probably need to give it more time- no?
    Except for two more things: after bfing my right side still feels harder then the left. Both feel softer than before bfing, but still the right not as much. Like maybe there is still milk left in it. But, I don't want him to nurse more bec. a) he spits up more then b) it'll make me produce more milk in the side that seems to have enough...
    Also, in the same line, I've been trying to nurse him on the left side for longer than the right (to increase production), but a couple of times my right breast felt very full afterwards, so I pumped for a 2-3 minutes to relieve it...

It sounds like you are on the right track to an evened-out supply. Just give it time.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"