Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Do I have to start giving my baby cereal?

Default Do I have to start giving my baby cereal?

My son is 5 months and 21 lbs. His pediatrician suggested holdng cereal off until 6 months. I hear some women hold off until 8-10 months? Is this o.k. I welcome all opinions. He is healthy now with just the BM.

Default Re: Do I have to start giving my baby cereal?

It's generally recommended not to start solids until 6 mos. I think it's best to look at baby's signs of readiness rather than just the calender. Here's a list of signs of readiness from this great resource:

Signs that indicate baby is developmentally ready for solids include:
    • Baby can sit up well without support.
    • Baby has lost the tongue-thrust reflex and does not automatically push solids out of his mouth with his tongue.
    • Baby is ready and willing to chew.
    • Baby is developing a “pincer” grasp, where he picks up food or other objects between thumb and forefinger. Using the fingers and scraping the food into the palm of the hand (palmar grasp) does not substitute for pincer grasp development.
    • Baby is eager to participate in mealtime and may try to grab food and put it in his mouth.
    And keep in mind you don't necessarily have to start with cereal. This is a great article that offers an alternative to cereals and purees.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

we skipped cereal all together. Our ped said it was okay to do so. It's mostly carbs and causes constipation in some babies so i chose not to do cereal.
    Mommy to Liam born 10/13/2008
    Breastfeeding since Day 1

Breastfed ds for 15 months and cherished every minute of it!!

We love and

Thanks for the article. Based on what I read, I don't think he's ready.

We don't do cereal either. When baby is ready (base our decision on these guidelines [similar to the link given above]) we just start with 'regular' food (some ideas here )
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Breastmilk will sustain your baby until around the one year mark. It's recommended that breastmilk be the primary source of nutrition until this time as well. HOWEVER, with that said, introducing solids is important. It doesn't have to be rushed, but it is important to introduce solids before the year mark so that when solids become important they already know how to chew, swallow, etc, and have a wide variety of foods that they like. Most babies are ready between 6 and 8 months. After the 6 month mark, when you see that your child is ready, you can go ahead and start offering. You don't have to offer every day, and you don't have to offer a large quantity. You can take is super slow and do it without stressing
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sch.mommy View Post
    Breastmilk will sustain your baby until around the one year mark. It's recommended that breastmilk be the primary source of nutrition until this time as well. HOWEVER, with that said, introducing solids is important. It doesn't have to be rushed, but it is important to introduce solids before the year mark so that when solids become important they already know how to chew, swallow, etc, and have a wide variety of foods that they like. Most babies are ready between 6 and 8 months. After the 6 month mark, when you see that your child is ready, you can go ahead and start offering. You don't have to offer every day, and you don't have to offer a large quantity. You can take is super slow and do it without stressing
    Did you skip cereal too?

we did with the last two babies.
    Started with meats at about 9-12 months old.
    Because they are high in iron.
    They had a few bites of this and that before 9 months.
    But were mostly I would say 99% self fed.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joshua.smom View Post
    Did you skip cereal too?
    yes, I skipped cereal. I didn't do puree's at all actually. I did introduce homemade regular oatmeal during the first month of solids but it didn't go over well so I dropped it after less than a week.
    Last edited by @llli*sch.mommy; June 2nd, 2009 at 09:56 AM.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*number4 View Post
    We don't do cereal either. When baby is ready (base our decision on these guidelines [similar to the link given above]) we just start with 'regular' food (some ideas here )
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sch.mommy View Post
    no, I skipped cereal. I didn't do puree's at all actually. I did introduce homemade regular oatmeal during the first month of solids but it didn't go over well so I dropped it after less than a week.
    to both

We completely skipped cereal and we started solids when our son was showing all the signs of being ready (around 5.5 months) we skipped purees too. I think once out of desperation for sleep DH fed DS a bowl of baby cereal but when we did cereal it was simply homemade real oatmeal with fruit (like applesauce) mixed in .

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!