Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My LO doesn't like meat?

Default Re: My LO doesn't like meat?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*chi829 View Post
    he obviously isnt chewing yet, and sorry if I sound so ignorant,, how would these foods be possible then?
    I'm sorry I didn't clarify.

You are right, the beans and cheese cubes would be too difficult not for chewing but because your LO wouldn't be able to pick these items up quite yet. Although, around 8 months they really start to develop that pinscer grasp.

You could try either chicken or turkey, and think of cutting it into thick strips. They hold onto the meat and gnaw at the ends. Turkey was one of the first foods that we introduced to my LO at 6 months.

They don't really need any teeth to 'chew' up the food, their gums do all the work!

Good luck and have fun, solids are an exciting milestone.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

I agree with PP pureed meat is... not appetizing. We never used pureed foods with DS but at 8 months you could totally try boiling or baking chicken or turkey and cutting it into strips like mentioned before. Think French fry sized or maybe like steak fries!

My DS still doesn't eat meat most of the time though he LOVES pork (pork chops or pork roast) and will randomly eat ground beef and chicken.

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

My son is 20 months and still not much of a meat eater. He loves, loves, loves beans though. I swear he could just live off giant piles of beans and fruit. Beans are an excellent source of protein and iron too. Of course like others have said, since your DS is still young and he's getting most of his nutrients from nursing, you don't need to worry. I think some kids just don't like meat right away. My son really only eats it if it's cooked into a casserole.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Just wanted to add - even after weaning there are many sources of protein et cetera to be found in sources other than meat
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*number4 View Post
    Just wanted to add - even after weaning there are many sources of protein et cetera to be found in sources other than meat
    Very true. DS only gets 6oz of breastmilk a day, but he eats a lot of beans and some cheese and it is enough protein for him.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommyoflance View Post
    My son is 20 months and still not much of a meat eater. He loves, loves, loves beans though. I swear he could just live off giant piles of beans and fruit. Beans are an excellent source of protein and iron too. Of course like others have said, since your DS is still young and he's getting most of his nutrients from nursing, you don't need to worry. I think some kids just don't like meat right away. My son really only eats it if it's cooked into a casserole.
    We're in the same boat here...DD hates meat but loves beans!
    And she sings - "beans make you fart but they're good for your heart!"
    Soooo cute!!

We've made it 1 YEAR

A newborn baby has only three demands. They are warmth in the arms of its mother, food from her breasts, and security in the knowledge of her presence. Breastfeeding satisfies all three. ~Grantly Dick-Read

Stacey

Married to DH since 2001
    Mommy to Mikki 2006
    Mommy to Xander 2008

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*airportmom View Post
    We're in the same boat here...DD hates meat but loves beans!
    And she sings - "beans make you fart but they're good for your heart!"
    Soooo cute!!
    Love it!

I was really worried about DS1 not eating meat until I checked how much protein is recommended for a one year old (something like 10g) and realised he was getting plenty from my milk and other sources. After that, I stopped worrying and let him eat what he wanted, which was mostly fresh fruit and veg. Even now, he's not much of a meat eater.

The other thing that's good to know is that your LO doesn't have to eat beans and rice (or whatever combination) in the same meal to make a complete protein. The body holds on to incomplete proteins for up to a few days waiting for the 'other' part to make a complete protein.
    Emma

J from Aug '06 to Nov '08 and S from April 2009

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*meganbeth View Post
    My DS still doesn't eat meat most of the time though he LOVES pork (pork chops or pork roast) and will randomly eat ground beef and chicken.
    What is it with pork? G has refused every meat we've offered until he randomly ate a pork dumpling (Chinese) a few weeks ago. Then, a few days later he ate several pieces of bbq pork off his Daddy's plate . . . but still won't touch chicken or beef . . .
    Katherine
    My boys (both hypnobirths!):
    N 12/24/05 - birth center baby; nursed until Dec. 2007
    G 3/21/08 - we had a wonderful homebirth!!! - still nursing

hmmmm,,,,, maybe I should try some pork??
    Mommy to Liam born 10/13/2008
    Breastfeeding since Day 1

Breastfed ds for 15 months and cherished every minute of it!!

We love and

My LO was not a fan of meat for quite a while, but would eat tofu cubes, cottage cheese, yogurt, and grilled fish for protein. He would knock you over for a chunk of grilled salmon!

I read the PP about pork - he loves to eat ribs! When he was littler (now 17 mo) he would just gnaw on the bone and get little pieces off. Sounds like pork is a big hit!
    Last edited by @llli*mykidsmom; June 5th, 2009 at 02:34 PM.
    Mommy to DS - 12/29/2007 and DD - 4/11/2010
    We are taking tandem nursing day by day