Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My LO doesn't like meat?

Default My LO doesn't like meat?

My LO is 7 1/2 months old and we are on stage 2 solids with Earth's Best Organic baby foods. So far, he wants nothing to do with anything that has meat in it? Is this a stage? Did anyone else experience this? I still offer it to him on a daily basis but so far, no luck. He only likes his fruits and veggies.
    Mommy to Liam born 10/13/2008
    Breastfeeding since Day 1

Breastfed ds for 15 months and cherished every minute of it!!

We love and

Default Re: My LO doesn't like meat?

I have one that isn't a carnivore either so I just address his needs other ways Meats not a necessity
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

but doesnt he need protein? I am still nursing about 6-8 times a day but is that enough protein for him?

We love and

Good protein sources that aren't meats you can try:

Tofu cubes
    beans
    lentils
    cheese cubes/sticks
    yogurt
    whole grain cereals

I wouldn't worry if they aren't meat eaters, that is very common in children.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Maybe he doesn't like the taste of the pureed meat? Have you tried giving him small bits of cooked meat like shredded poached chicken or maybe even ground beef or turkey cooked in broth? Beans are also a good meat alternative although I didn't introduce them until recently (she's 10+ months). Quinoa and other whole grains also have protein.
    Solids are just for experimentation during the first year, it sounds like you are still nursing plenty. Are wets/dirties ok?
    Check out wholesomebabyfood.com for more ideas and info.
    DD (7/23/08) self weaned at 17 months
    DS (6/20/10) nursing like a champ

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*green.momma View Post
    Good protein sources that aren't meats you can try:

Tofu cubes
    beans
    lentils
    cheese cubes/sticks
    yogurt
    whole grain cereals

I wouldn't worry if they aren't meat eaters, that is very common in children.
    he obviously isnt chewing yet, and sorry if I sound so ignorant,, how would these foods be possible then?

We love and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*chi829 View Post
    he obviously isnt chewing yet, and sorry if I sound so ignorant,, how would these foods be possible then?
    Even though your lo may not have teeth, they can still chew. They use their gums just like they would teeth. I give DD beans all the time, I just kind of smash them before I give them to her.

I wouldn't worry about the meat. I would suggest trying to give your little one pieces of real meat, just as pp suggested. It may not be that your lo doesn't like the taste, but the texture rather.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

And if your LO is still getting more BM than solids they are just fine for protein (and everything else for that matter)
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

It's not really something to worry about since your baby's main source of nutrition is breastmilk.

But beans and cheese and those types of things are definitely doable at that age. Their gums are pretty rock hard and they can chew pretty well with them. Beans are an excellent source of protein. My daughter really liked shredded chicken, but I think she was 8 mos before we gave any meats- I can't really remember.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

A lot of LOs don't like the texture of meat, maybe b/c it tends to be a little bit more grainy. You can try other protien rich foods like beans if you're worried about your LO getting enough. Otherwise just give it time and keep offering it. Your BM should give him everything else he needs.
    I am Andrea a.k.a. the .

Mommy to DD Rowan 1-1-99, DS Ethan 4-7-02, and DS Logan 4-8-09.

Blessed to be with Chris, my best friend and we're very much .

We're and with our LO. Mommy and Daddy are and we it.

Starting to CD for the first time and loving it, it's SO addictive!!!