Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Question for mamas of older nurslings

Default Question for mamas of older nurslings

When your LO wants to nurse but you don't want to and you tell them "I'll give you milk when I am finished with X" Do you always nurse them after "x"? If they forget, do you remind them, or do you just let them come back and ask again later? Usually I remind him because I don't want to be lying to him. I don't know if he'll remember when he gets older that I tried to truthful, but on the chance that he will, this is usually what I do. Sometimes, when I offer after making him wait, he's too busy for it anyway.
    DS is 23 months, btw.
    Just curious.

Default Re: Question for mamas of older nurslings

By that time I was gently encouraging weaning and I would just let Nora forget about it unless she asked again. If you're concerned about being truthful you could rephrase and say something like, "if you still want to have milk after I'm done _____ you can have it then."
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    By that time I was gently encouraging weaning and I would just let Nora forget about it unless she asked again. If you're concerned about being truthful you could rephrase and say something like, "if you still want to have milk after I'm done _____ you can have it then."
    Good idea. I really don't know why I hadn't thought of that.

I'll have to remember that when my LO gets older, great advice!
    I am Andrea a.k.a. the .

Mommy to DD Rowan 1-1-99, DS Ethan 4-7-02, and DS Logan 4-8-09.

Blessed to be with Chris, my best friend and we're very much .

We're and with our LO. Mommy and Daddy are and we it.

Starting to CD for the first time and loving it, it's SO addictive!!!

wow that was a wise way to put it!
    It does get easier as they get older, you'll wean down to fewer times a day and theese nursings will be more pedictable to toddler.
    They get used to only nursing at home and only at bed and nap times.
    They then quit asking when your out and about. And pretty soon you have a toddler that's just nursing 1st thing in the am. naps and bedtime.
    You guys will get to that point!

If they forget, I personally would not remind them and offer again.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Excellent advice! I do this for a lot of things now, we need to do X before we do Y. If he forgets I just let him do whatever he's doing. IF however he remembers later I will let him nurse/whatever he wanted to do - I won't put it off twice. I just said we could do it after X, there's no time limit and it doesn't have to be RIGHT after X either.

I Paige's rephrasing.

I never had to remind DD about nursing, because when she was interested she never forgot that she had it coming!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"