Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3month moving head side to side when bottlefeeding

Question 3month moving head side to side when bottlefeeding

My 3 month old recently started moving his head side to side while eating from the bottle...he'll suck a few sucks, move...come back, suck a few more...move..even he seems frustrated. He didn't used to do that at the breast. I had switched to cereal nipples a little bit ago [which doesn't give any out unless it's sucked on] because I had to start him on added rice starch formula. Any ideas? I'm just hoping it isn't a developmental problem or illness

Default Re: 3month moving head side to side when bottlefeeding

Hi and could you please provide a little more information? 3 mos is very young for anything other than BM or formula; can you expand on why you are going this and does he nurse at all anymore? Are you pumping and bottlefeeding your milk? Is his head turning toward you like he's rooting for the breast?

My LO is bottle fed BM and he went through a period where he would turn his head all but around when eating and it was tricky keeping the bottle in his month. Or we just let him come back to it when he was done looking around. It was about the time when he started noticing the room around him. For him it was just another of the many phases.
    First time Mom to Baylor born 11/16/2008

I love and.

No, he doesn't nurse anymore, I had to switch to formula because I wasn't producing enough. I had to change his formula to Similac Sensitive R.S. [ which is added rice starch] that won't go through a regular slow flow nipple, so I tried the cereal [tri-cut] nipples. He was fine using those for a week before starting to turn his head. He turns his head fully left and fully right over and over, even is he's not eating, with his eyes wandering not in the same direction as his movement. He's not moving like he's rooting. I try to keep the bottle in his mouth when he does it but he gets angry, and when he moves and I stay stationary, he gets angry when he loses it...he also tends to arch his back and straighten his legs...burping and repositioning doesn't seem to change anything either. I hope it's just development =\

well i really dont know anything to help about the formula issue, but is the arching maybe a sign that he has gas or maybe his little tummy is having a hard time processing the specific brand of formula?

Post Re: 3month moving head side to side when bottlefeeding

I know its an old post but I am having similar problems with my 3 month old. Xmom can you please tell me more about it, what was it and how did it fix and how long did it take.
    Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2nyssa View Post
    I know its an old post but I am having similar problems with my 3 month old. Xmom can you please tell me more about it, what was it and how did it fix and how long did it take.
    Thanks in advance!
    are you nursing? the op was formula feeding exclusively
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language