Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does your lo do this?

Default Does your lo do this?

Hi ladies,

My ds will be 4mo on June 7, and I'm not going to start him on solids until he's 6mo. But for the past couple weeks, he REALLY wants what we're eating! It is so cute, but it makes me feel extremely guilty for not giving in (not that I would give him something we're eating--I wouldn't even give him baby cereal at this point, kwim?). I usually have to have him on my lap when I eat a meal, and he watches with great interest everytime I bring the food from the plate to my mouth. And most of the time, he's got his mouth WIDE open ! He also moves his legs and arms really fast when he sees food, like he's excited. Today he was in the swing when my 2 year old who was eating a granola bar came up and was talking to him, and Brody had his mouth wide open (as usual), and was leaning towards my older ds! It was like he just couldn't believe that he was eating right in front of him, and not sharing any!
    I remember my older ds doing this as well at around the same age, and I gave in because I just felt so guilty. So he started on solids at about 4mo, but not this time... Is this normal behaviour?

Punky
    Mommy to L - May 7, 07' , B - February 7, 09' , and R - August 18, 12'

Default Re: Does your lo do this?

IMO it is very normal. I don't know if it is so much the want to eat, as they are interested in getting a hold of everything and usually putting it in their mouths
    Hi, I'm Lisa, mommy to:
    *Emily Grace 12-13-06.weaned with at 3 1/2
    *Abigail 9-12-08 born at 28 weeks 2lbs 13oz-Now my 2 year old nursing chunky monkey
    Nursing after a 12 week stay in the NICU

:

Good point! This makes me feel better about not giving in.

My LO did this! People were all like- oooooh, but she's so HUNGRY! Give her some steak/chocolate/garlic bread etc. I think it's not so much that it's food, but that it's exciting and you're enjoying it too, and baby wants to play! Have you got a little baby dinner set that baby can play with while you're eating? It used to keep Lilly occupied and make her feel a bit more like she was part of the family dining experience
    Don't feel bad, I didn't start solids until 6 months either, and it turned out well (so far). I have had to fend off a few vhocolate biscuits though!
    Proud mummy to Lillypig, in love with my best friend and partner, Batfink
    One year done, and still going strong.

I think it's normal...Lyric does this too and she watches me eat all the time with interest. At least LO will be prepared when it's time!
    Courtney
    Ever 06.26.02
    Lyric 12.26.08 (Holy sheep! Nursing at 30 months and counting!)

Breastmilk is better than any udder milk! ~Author Unknown

It has NOTHING to to with food. Your baby does not even understand that you ARE eating. In your baby's mind food comes from boobs and that how people eat. Even when you start feeding your baby solids at the 6month point, they do not think they are eating. And if left to their own devices and not spoon fed, it actually takes them MONTHS to SWALLOW ANYTHING. And even after they start to swallow, it take another couple of months for them to connect "taste" to their tongue and if you are very diligent and are actually feeding them solids 3x a day plus 2 snacks somewhere AFTER the year point they begin to associate food with hunger. They are simply enjoying a new experience. If you drink a soda in front of your baby, they will reach for it. Does this mean they want soda? Are they ready for soda? If you wiggle keys in front of baby baby will reach for keys AND try to mouth keys. It doesn't mean the baby wants to or is ready to drive. Right around 4 months someone hits a switch in their brain and turns on the whole world. They are SEEING everything for the 1st time. They are realizing that they can control their arms and hands. They want to experience things through site and touch and they use their mouth at this point like their nose. It's part of the way they "explore."
    But the idea that a 4 month old wants to eat or feel like they are missing out on food is strictly a projection. Much like the idea that a child is super bummed they can't have any juice when they don't even know what juice tastes like. You don't miss what you have never had or even realized exists. And an EBF child journey to the realization that you eat food to quell hunger is a LONG process. Don't feel bad or guilty about waiting.

Way too lazy for formula

WSS! My LO always grabs excitedly for DHs beer bottles...certainly not gonna give him beer We always gave DS something to play with, like a spoon, so he felt included in mealtimes.
    I'm Hilary: Wife to DH since 5-11-02, Mother to born 8-25-08
    "If I had known it was this much fun, we would have done this a long time ago!" (DH re DS)

210(pg)****205****200****195****190****185****180* ***175****170****165********155****150****145****140****135(TTC!!)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*proudmommy View Post
    IMO it is very normal. I don't know if it is so much the want to eat, as they are interested in getting a hold of everything and usually putting it in their mouths

Babies don't know what food is, that it tastes good, or that it satisfies hunger until they get used to having it. They only associate hunger with YOU! They're just interested in what mama's doing!

My mom said that it's "mean" to make babies "wait" until 6 months to try food...didn't get that logic. They're not waiting for anything they don't know about.
    Mama of two precious girls
    DD1 born 23 July 2008 and
    DD2 born 14 January 2010

Lots of good points! I guess I never thought about it enough to make sense out of the fact that they have no idea what they're missing.
    It sure is cute though to watch him lunge at what we're having at the dinner table!
    I hate it when people (*cough* inlaws ) try to make me feel even more guilty about not giving him anything when they see him act like this, too. I ALWAYS get the "oh, he's so hungry! Feed him, mama" comment....

Punky

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*punky View Post
    Lots of good points! I guess I never thought about it enough to make sense out of the fact that they have no idea what they're missing.
    It sure is cute though to watch him lunge at what we're having at the dinner table!
    I hate it when people (*cough* inlaws ) try to make me feel even more guilty about not giving him anything when they see him act like this, too. I ALWAYS get the "oh, he's so hungry! Feed him, mama" comment....

Punky
    I used to say well he lunged for my shoe and wanted to eat that but I didn't give THAT to him either!
    And yes my LO did really want to eat my shoe!