Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BLS gagging/choking

Default BLS gagging/choking

We recently started BLS. I love watching DS pick up food himself and shove it in his mouth but I hate watching him gag and he even choked once today. He seems to love everything we put in front of him and he puts it all in his mouth, chews, moves chunks around but it seems like he's always trying to swallow the chunks whole. We've had a lot of scary gagging incidents and once at lunch today he choked on a piece of cucumber. DH was great just picked him up turned him over gave him a wack, out came the cucumber then he went happily back to trying to shove more cucumber in his mouth.

I'm cutting everying up in french fry shape or so. DS is able to pick almost anything up from the high chair tray even smaller pieces. He gagged a lot on sweet potatoes but seemed to do ok with bannana and cantalope.

Am I doing something wrong? He seems ready for solids, is sitting up on his own and tries to grab things off our plates, but is the gagging/choking a sign he's not ready? I thought this would be more fun but now I'm scared to try again.
    DS 11/25/2008 until 27 months

Now DD born 2/13/2012

Default Re: BLS gagging/choking

gagging/choking is great most breastfeed babies have a realy good reflux.

TRy smaller peices

and a baby 1st aid and cpr class! That will make you feal more comfortable that you would know what to do if he did choke.

my little fella wasn't great with the fry shaped pieces and prefer ed tiny pieces. He would always take a great big bite and then have a mouth full of food and not know what to do with it Perhaps try cutting the pieces smaller? Also, for harder food, I use to cut things in very large or whole pieces. For example, ds was better with a whole apple then he was with a fry shaped piece that way he couldn't bite of large pieces
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Being able to gag/choke and deal with it on their own means they are definitely ready for solids...but being parents being comfortable enough to find this out is hard

A lot of the literature says pieces the size of the baby's fist. HTH
    Last edited by @llli*durhamgrrl; June 1st, 2009 at 12:39 PM.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

IME learning to eat is just like any other skill and LO don't "naturally" know how to chew / swallow food.

We did a lot of demonstrating foods by US eating with DS and reminding DS to chew chew chew swallow. And we'd have a sippy with water to help DS "wash the food down".
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post
    IME learning to eat is just like any other skill and LO don't "naturally" know how to chew / swallow food.

We did a lot of demonstrating foods by US eating with DS and reminding DS to chew chew chew swallow. And we'd have a sippy with water to help DS "wash the food down".

Totally....

We've made it 1 YEAR

A newborn baby has only three demands. They are warmth in the arms of its mother, food from her breasts, and security in the knowledge of her presence. Breastfeeding satisfies all three. ~Grantly Dick-Read

Stacey

Married to DH since 2001
    Mommy to Mikki 2006
    Mommy to Xander 2008