Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to use fenugreek

Exclamation how to use fenugreek

Hi! I have a 2 1/2 month old boy I began to breastfeed but had a lot of issues, I had a c-section and they gave him a bottle and i took a lot time to heal so feedings where extremely short and he ended up having a bottle. I've never stopped offering him but he takes a couple of sucks and then let's go and others he screams and pushes me away. I've pumped but only get a few drops out of each breast so i bought fenugreek seeds to increase my supply so he takes the breast for longer periods. I would like to know how to make the tea because i've only read about drinking capsules but all i could find where seeds and i read chewing them is pretty awful so how do i make the tea and how much do i drink???
    thank you!!!!
    Happiness is a choice! I my baby boy!

Default Re: how to use fenugreek

To make tea from fenugreek seeds, put 1-2 teaspoons of seed into a mug and fill cup with hot water. Allow to steep for a few minutes, then drink the tea and swallow the seeds (they will be soft and chewable if you wish to chew them). Drink the tea several times per day, or until you notice your sweat and urine emitting a maple syrup odor.

In addition, I encourage you to take the following steps:
    - See a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC. Nothing beats hands-on help when you are struggling!!!
    - Pump frequently using the best pump possible. When I needed to increase supply, I pumped every 2 hours during the day and every 3 at night using a hospital-grade rental pump.
    - Try supplementing at the breast using a supplemental nursing system so that your baby gets used to getting all his meals at the breast.
    - If you choose to supplement via bottle, use slow-flow nipples so your baby doesn't get hooked on a fast flow of milk, and make bottle-feeding as much like breastfeeding as possible: when it is time to offer the bottle, open you shirt, cuddle your baby close to your bare chest, tickle his lips with the bottle nipple, and wait until he opens wide before slipping the bottle in so that he doesn't learn sloppy latch habits from getting a bottle slipped into a half-open mouth.
    - Talk to your doctor or midwife about drugs that may help increase your milk supply. Reglan (available in the US) and Domperidone (Canada) are anti-nausea drugs that as a side-effect can increase the amount of milk you make. Both have additional side-effects and use of either drug as a milk-increaser is considered "off-label" use.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you so much, i made some tea yesterday but threw away the seeds i had no idea i had to swallow them!!!
    and thank you for the tips, i have been doing the cuddling when i feed him but i couldn't find a LC here in my country, i've been trying to pump but my son wants to be held ALL the time so i couldn't pump as much as i now i need to and my old doctor told me that there was no drug or herb that could increase my milk but i stopped seeing him. today my biggest problem was getting him to accept being held in a position to bf he cries and cries and sometimes latches on when i hold him standing and moving around but sometimes he arches his back so i can't reach his mouth and i get so upset i can't even hold him, but i'm gonna keep trying!!!!!!!!!!!
    thanx again!!!!

I have some tea left if you want them, I have organic mothers milk tea from tradicinal medicinal it says:

Organic Mother's Milk®
    Promotes Healthy Lactation*
    Herbal Dietary Supplement
    Organic Mother’s Milk® promotes healthy lactation* and is traditionally used to increase breastmilk production.* This traditional combination of anise, fennel and coriander has been used for centuries by European women, often recommended by lactation counselors and medical herbalists. Organic Mother’s Milk® is a pleasantly aromatic balance of sweet, spicy and slightly bitter.

ANd then yogi nursing moms tea

I personally like the yogi tea it tastes better i think, and i used hunny to sweeten it. i always used 2 tea bags. Just pm me with your address if you want me to mail it to you! i have 1 1/2 boxes of yogi and 1 box of the other one.
    Kristina Jeremiah since 2-18-1998
    Mother to
    2-02
    Gavin 1-03 Nursed 2.5mo
    Keean 5-04 BCLP
    Alexis 12-06 Nursed 12mo THEN
    Relactated after 5mo(due to her dairy intol.) and ended up making 30oz a day
    Now we are Weaned! AGAIN!
    Kason 6-2-10
    Birth..8 lbs 5.9 oz
    4 wks.... 10 lbs 12 oz
    9 wks.... 13 lbs 14 oz
    15wks... 16 lbs 4 oz
    17wks... 17 lbs 2 oz
    6 mo..... 19 lbs 6 oz
    7 mo .....20 lbs 3 oz

i made some tea yesterday but threw away the seeds i had no idea i had to swallow them!!!
    You actually don't have to swallow them- but it certainly does no harm and may do some good to do so. It's just an extra little dose of fenugreek.

Have you tried nursing your baby in a warm bath or a darkened room? Sometimes those situations are relaxing enough to make a baby accept the breast without a struggle. Also, if you are not co-sleeping with your baby, you may want to try it because many babies will latch on and nurse without a struggle when the breast is right there and they are sleepy. Expressing a few drops of milk onto the nipple before latching your baby on may help, too- sometimes the taste and immediate reward is enough to keep the baby interested in nursing.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Unhappy Re: how to use fenugreek

thank you for your comments, i'm so sad, i've been on fenugreek for 3 and 1/2 days now and i still only get one drop from each breast when i pump and sometimes i get nothing, i'm so sick of making my baby cry when i put him on the breast, sometimes he sucks for a while and falls asleep but most of the times he just cries and pushes me away, i hate seeing his eyes full of tears. He is so healthy and i hate feeling so much guilt over not being able to bf him, i wish ppl understood its not my fault i don't have any milk .
    i smell like maple but no milk at all should keep trying? i dont wanna keep crying and making my little boy feel so horrible when i try

i still only get one drop from each breast when i pump and sometimes i get nothing
    What make and model of pump do you have? Not all pumps are created equal- you may have the wrong one for your needs.

i wish ppl understood its not my fault i don't have any milk .
    Mama, we really do understand!!! Breastfeeding is natural but it isn't always easy, and moms who get a rough start have extra challenges. Don't think about this challenge you're having being about "fault". And don't feel like you need to have an exclusively-breastfed baby in order to be considered successful- there are a lot of mommies who formula-feed at least part of the time and no-one thinks less of them. I think one thing everyone on this forum would agree on is that any amount of breastmilk is good- even one drop is a good thing.

i smell like maple but no milk at all should keep trying?
    It's up to you. I think that if you a) pump frequently with a good pump and b) see your doc and rule out physical conditions that could be holding you back, you have an excellent shot at getting a full milk supply.

If you give up now, will you be okay with that? Will letting this opportunity go haunt you? Or will you be able to go forward with formula feeding without regret?

Whatever you decide, we're rooting for you!

i have a Evenflo comfort select dual pump, i really can't afford another one, i got this one in the US but here (Guatemala) they are twice as expensive and buying it online is the same as buying it here.
    I live with my parents and grandmother and they keep telling me that it's not possible that i have no milk and all i have to do is put the baby on my breast and he will suck they just dont see how hard it is and they keep telling me i have no will and that i'm not trying hard enough when i am doing all i can, so it's really hard getting those comments ever single day
    it's really hard to accept that i can't do this, i wanna keep trying because i know my baby will benefit so much from my milk and i would love to bond with him that way. sometimes i feel like i'm failling being a mom cuz i couldn't deliver naturally and now this, i know i sound like a drama queen but those little tears just kill me!
    thank you so much for your support i really needed to hear nice things!

Mama, big old to you. I HATE to see any new mama having such a tough time.

The Evenflo looks like a pretty okay pump, but it still may not be enough for your needs. Can you get a better pump through your local hospital? I started out with a cheap pump and eventually moved on to a hospital-grade pump, and there was no comparing the two. The hospital-grade rental pump was so much more powerful, and I saw good results quite quickly!

Frequency is, to my mind, just as important as the pump you're using. Any time you can slip a pumping session in, do it: it is not wasted effort even if nothing comes out. I know it's exhausting. My LC suggested something which may help: instead of washing everything every time you pump, leave the pump parts on the bottle and put the whole thing in the fridge. The next time you need to pump, you can pump new milk on top of old. (My LC said it was safe to do this 1 time- even so, it cuts the washing in half.)

I know the pump is expensive, but can you afford the supplemental nursing system? That really may help get your baby back to the breast.

Don't let your family get to you. And let them know that if they want to help, browbeating you won't help, but giving you time to pump will. They can take the baby for 20 minutes every 2 hours to give you time to get your supply going, and that will get you much farther than making you feel bad will.

sometimes i feel like i'm failling being a mom cuz i couldn't deliver naturally and now this
    Mama, please don't blame yourself. I don't know the circumstances of your c-section, but you should know that many moms who "couldn't deliver naturally" really could have done so if they had received proper care. And even when c-sections are absolutely necessary they are in no way about the mom's failure. Nature's error, perhaps, but not yours.

And breastfeeding is just not easy for a lot of women, especially after c-section. You're not failing- you haven't given up! Just remember that we all fail- until we succeed. You can do this- because you are doing it.

thank you!!!!!
    I checked with a few hospitals and they don't have any, public health assistance is very poor i will check with private hospitals tomorrow...
    i have NO idea where to get an SNS here, i tried feeding him with a syringe while on the breast once and he sucked but after half an ounce he fell asleep and wouldn't wake up till i gave him his bottle, i checked online to see if they sold them but i couldn't find any, i found a nipple shield here but i read it should be the last thing to try and always with assistance so i didn't buy it...
    omg i told my mom and she was all for it, she told me to tell her when i was gonna pump so she would look after him but the first day she went out ALL morning and the next as soon as he cried she brought him to me after 5 mins of pumping to feed him, and he never naps, he does these cat naps for 20 to 40 mins and i hardly have time to eat or got to the bathroom, i tried pumping while eating but ended up taking longer instead of less time!

i hate my doctor so much for pushing the c-section, i know i could have done it but my parents freaked when they heard the baby had a low heart rate for a few seconds maybe he was resting or something!!!! but at least he's here and he's a healthy boy!

it's so amazing to hear encouraging thoughts, really you gave me a boost to keep trying!!!!