Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: From room temp to the refrigerator/freezer?

Question From room temp to the refrigerator/freezer?

I know that freshly pumped milk can be safely stored at room temp for 10 hours, but is it okay to then refrigerate or freeze it? Or must it then be used?

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Default Re: From room temp to the refrigerator/freezer?

Hi Molly,
    Here's the info I got from IBCLCs on this.
    It's OK for freshly pumped milk to sit at room temp for up to 8 hours and then it can go into the 'fridge or freezer with no problems.

The one thing to keep in mind, though, is if you plan to freeze the milk, it shouldn't sit in the 'fridge for long after being out at room temp for 8 hours. I.e., get it into the freezer that day. If you think there is any chance you are going to freeze that milk but won't know for a day or two and it will sit in the 'frigde, don't let it sit at room temp first. Does that make sense?? This all came up for me because I was told that it was OK to have milk in the 'fridge for up to 4 days before it was put to freeze. That's really not the best route, though, but I didn't want to dump the 75 bags I had in the freezer, many of which had gone that route! So.....the LCs hashed over the situation and came back with the info that as long as it hadn't sat out at room temp, it was probably fine, particularly if it was in a bottle similar in size to the milk volume so the milk didn't get a ton of air exposure.
    HTH more than it confused....
    -linda

Thank, Linda. That definitely helps, although there are probably bottles in my freezer that might have been in the ‘fridge for too long first! I had not been freezing any for a while because I didn’t have enough to freeze-I was barely keeping up with Eva. Now, I’ve been building up some extra so we started freezing it again. I’ll be sure to get the fresh milk in the freezer right away and only freeze milk that has been refrigerated for less than 4 days.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

to add to linda's note, you definitely want to chill the milk in the fridge first before freezing (e.g., don't go from room temperature to freezer).

Quote Originally Posted by Aleina's_Mom
    to add to linda's note, you definitely want to chill the milk in the fridge first before freezing (e.g., don't go from room temperature to freezer).
    But fresh to the freezer is ok....right?

That was my question too... you can go from pump to freezer or does it have to chill first? If it could go directly I would have less confusion about whats in the fridge and whats in the freezer.

jeanne

You're probably ok going from fresh to freezer, but I usually chill it first (just because I have a cooler at work that it chills in anyway, before I take it home to freeze). And I try to freeze the freshest milk I have. I think you are okay to put freshly pumped milk directly into the freezer, but it has sat out for some time (say, longer than a few hours) I would chill first.

The biggy is making sure it doesn't smell or taste funny upon thawing--just like with cows milk, you will know if it has gone bad (I had some go bad one time and I have no idea, but it tasted and smelled rancid!)

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

there is another thread somewhere where it recommends that you chill the milk first before putting it in the freezer...so for example, if you pump at home, you'd chill that milk first (maybe for a couple hours or so) and then put it in the freezer...you wouldn't put freshly expressed milk (which is warm) directly into the freezer.

HTH!

Quote Originally Posted by Aleina's_Mom
    there is another thread somewhere where it recommends that you chill the milk first before putting it in the freezer...so for example, if you pump at home, you'd chill that milk first (maybe for a couple hours or so) and then put it in the freezer...you wouldn't put freshly expressed milk (which is warm) directly into the freezer.

HTH!
    Why not???

see this previous thread...
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/vbullet...ead.php?t=5782

it says that you should chill the milk first IF you are going to add it to previously frozen milk...but it doesn't really say that it's a must that you chill the fresh milk before freezing. i guess it's not that much clearer ...but i've started to chill my milk in the fridge before putting it in the freezer (it's an extra step, but it can't hurt....).
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches