Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: DD (2 yrs) only nursing from one side

Default DD (2 yrs) only nursing from one side

About three weeks ago, my DD who will be 2 on 9/19 stopped feeding completely from my right side. She will only take the left side. Even prior to this, I had a hard time convincing her to take the right side and now she absolutely refuses. I work FT M-F so on those days she nurses ~3x/day. On weekends, it's more like 6 - 8 x/day. I'm not worried about being lopsided (I don't get full feeling anymore)...my question is how long have other mom's done one sided nursing?

Default Re: DD (2 yrs) only nursing from one side

My son was closer to 3yo, if I recall correctly, when he completely rejected my left breast. It was many months before he went back to it, and I'm not sure I was lactating at all by then. With an older child who is eating a varied diet and drinking other nutritious liquids, I don't think going one-breasted is anything to worry about.

One thing I will note -- when he stopped nursing on my left breast, I soon realized that I was no longer handling that breast in the routine course of my daily activities. That's when I started being more deliberate about doing breast self-exams.

--Rebecca

My son has been nursing just on the right breast since he was about 10 months old. I work full time and was pumping, so the left breast stayed stimulated and still produced some, although not much, milk. Ds was simply not interested in the left breast and I finally gave up. Once I pump weaned, only the right breast has been in action. I can still squeeze milk out of the left side, but ds won't touch it. I don't ever feel lopsided or anything... especially since he is just down to nursing once a day.

my 3 year old always says that one tastes yucky... She will take it if she is sleepy. It always was the slower of the two...

It is possible to breastfeed from one breast alone. For some women one-sided nursing happens along the way for various reasons, and some women may have a medical situation requiring one-sided nursing.
    Mary

My 19th month old son really likes the left side. He'll take the rt but not for a long period of time. It does hurt if he goes for long periods without nursing on it so I try to keep him on it by just offering it more often.
    I don't think it will hurt anything though if your dd only nurses on one side.
    audra