Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: OALD and low supply?

Default OALD and low supply?

Hello Ladies,

I'm wondering if it's possible to have OALD and not have too much milk?

My LO is 13 weeks old and I have always struggled with a low milk supply after a rocky start -jaundice, hospital enforced formula supplements, mastitis and nipple shields. When we took our son home from the hospital he was on 30ozs of formula per day. After 12 weeks we're down to 10 a day but seem to have reached a plateau.

Since LO was 6 weeks he's been spluttering and choking at the start of each feed and has been having green, gassy BMs from time to time so maybe I have OALD? But the thing is, after the first 10 swallows or so it slows down to between 10-15 sucks per swallow and baby gets frustrated as he's not getting enough and we need to switch sides.

I want to get rid of those last 10ozs and fix this problem. I love breastfeeding my son.

Has anyone been in a similar situation/know of any remedies? Thanks for reading.

Default Re: OALD and low supply?

Is there a chance the nipples on the bottles you're giving him are flowing too fast? Maybe he's just a lazy eater on the breast because he got used to the ease of a bottle very early on? Or maybe he's just annoyed after the choking?

The choking and sputtering definitely sounds like what happens to my daughter when ye olde firehose effect kicks in.