Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Will I just dry up??

Default Will I just dry up??

I've decided to stop pumping now that my lo turned a year old. She hasn't nursed in months, and I was pumping and giving her the EBM. Now that she's one (and I am back to work on Tuesday) we're going to stop. BOO HOO! But it is just time. Do I need to do anything in particular to help myself stop producing? What do I do with the milk that is left in my breasts? I am quite full as I haven't pumped in 24 hours. I just am afraid to pump at all, as I don't want to stimulate more milk production.

Thanks!

Autumn
    Wife to Christopher since 8-2-02
    Proud Mom of Ailish Grace, born 8-31-05

Default Re: Will I just dry up??

I think it is better to decrease your amount of pumping gradually rather than stop all at once. Letting yourself stay really full can lead to mastitis--and then you'd have to pump a lot to keep the breast drained so you can get over the mastitis. What you can do is when you start to feel full, pump just enough to be comfortable, always leaving some milk in the breast. This will tell your body to make less milk. You'll gradually pump less and less until you don't need to pump anymore at all.

Great. That makes a lot of sense. Thanks.

Autumn

How sweet of you to do all that pumping to get her over a year's worth of human milk! You're awsome! I hope you get comfortable soon and are able to enjoy not having to pump anymore.

Thanks awnja! Really. Things are going fine here. I did what was suggested and pumped just to relieve the pressure of full breasts. And now almost a week later, it seems like the milk letdown has stopped. I am very sad to have it all come to an end! It wouldn't have been the way I would have done it if I could have planned it, but ... I guess that is one of the many lessons my DD has come to teach me. Let go, mom!!

Autumn