Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how often should he be pooping now?

Default how often should he be pooping now?

DS has been on some solids for a few months now (not much, bc he still doesn't really eat much of what we put in front of him). We have had a few issues w constipation, but they were easily resolved by changing his diet and upping the BM again.

So my question is, with a diet of prob 80/20 or even 90/10 BM/solids, how often should he be pooping? We're about 3-4 days apart now, and sometimes he strains w peanut butter/playdoh type poos, but nothing harder/

Sorry if TMI, but I'm curious what I need to watch for. Thanks!
    I'm Hilary: Wife to DH since 5-11-02, Mother to born 8-25-08
    "If I had known it was this much fun, we would have done this a long time ago!" (DH re DS)

210(pg)****205****200****195****190****185****180* ***175****170****165********155****150****145****140****135(TTC!!)

Default Re: how often should he be pooping now?

Its hard to say how often he should be pooping b/c everyone has different habits. You say he's straining with peanut butter/playdoh poops, right? Is it a lot of straining or just a few grunts and its out? I watch for that and for consistency. When Abby first got constipated she strained and strained and when she was done (about 10 mins later) there was a ball of poop about the size of her fist in her diaper. That was after about 3-4 days of not going. So for her I try to get her to go every day or every other, when that happens the straining is minimal and the consistency is between peanut butter and playdoh. Here is a link on constipation.
    DD (7/23/08) self weaned at 17 months
    DS (6/20/10) nursing like a champ

Thanks for the link! I don't think he's doing a LOT of straining, but it usually doesn't result in much more than a tbsp or so of poo. So I guess I'm trying to get a baseline to see if I need to cut back even more on the solids or offer different ones, etc. We generally stay away from the usual culprits. Before we started solids he was going every 3-5 days, with no trouble, so I'm wondering if he should be going more often now.
    "If I had known it was this much fun, we would have done this a long time ago!" (DH re DS)

210(pg)****205****200****195****190****185****180* ***175****170****165********155****150****145****140****135(TTC!!)

Are you giving him water? At this point we were giving him water with his meals, and it came to the point where he gets "free water" throughout the day because he is prone to constipation. But by constipation I mean the hard pellet poop...when it is peanut butter like we jump for joy!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

He grabs for any glass he sees... I guess we could start offering it to him regularly with any solids. Since he's 9 mos, should I be worried about him filling up on water vs BM? Thanks!

I never saw a decrease in his BM intake with water. And he peed it out so fast anyways...
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nolies.mama View Post
    I never saw a decrease in his BM intake with water. And he peed it out so fast anyways...

She loves water with her meals! Do you use a sippy or a regular cup? I also give her a sippy for walks b/c its getting hot here.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*beau.smomma View Post
    Thanks for the link! I don't think he's doing a LOT of straining, but it usually doesn't result in much more than a tbsp or so of poo. So I guess I'm trying to get a baseline to see if I need to cut back even more on the solids or offer different ones, etc. We generally stay away from the usual culprits. Before we started solids he was going every 3-5 days, with no trouble, so I'm wondering if he should be going more often now.
    Abby went about that often before solids were introduced so I thought it was no big deal until I saw her straining so hard for so little poop. Thats when I broke out the prunes! Poor child. A friend of mine swears by mangoes, you could try them to see if they help get things moving more.

Great! I will try that. I keep waiting for him to really eat KWIM? I feel like we've been doing BLS forever and he just dabbles I guess that's the point, that he'll dig in when he's ready...

of course, when I leave him with MIL she spoons in a whole jar of baby food, but that's a whole other thread