Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how do i fix it?!?!?

Default how do i fix it?!?!?

I have pretty much had an oversupply since my lo was born 3 weeks ago. It took less than 24 hours for my milk to come in and I was so engorged I started to pump every morning after waking and before bed. I figured if I was making so much milk I may as well pump and save it. Well, the pumping did not stop my morning engorgement, it just relieved it when I pumped. DD usually sleeps from about 1130 til 4 then til 7 then til 830 (just on average). I hve tried waking her between her longer sleep period, but if I do she doesn't nurse long enough to make a difference, so I don't bother losing the sleep. Well, the past 2 days I have skipped my morning pumping because I am tired of pumping twice a day and I'm sure it is making my problem worse. I do want to continue pumping before bed though. Anyonr have any suggestions on what else to do?? I am desperate! I am tired of my breasts being so engorged and tender and my let down is so overactive my poor lo chokes and i have to pull her off of my breast until it slows down even if I am laying down. Thnks in dvance for any advice.

Default Re: how do i fix it?!?!?

This resource should offer some great suggestions for you

One thing first though- regarding the pumping - its not going to "help" overactive letdown - or oversupply really - since it is signalling to your body to continue to make more milk. So each time you pump in the a.m. you're sending the signal to your body that it's needed.

So please do take a look at the resource and let us know if you need more help with it!!!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

This is a great link. Tons of OALD/OS info and advice. Especially block feeding. Stop pumping, start block feeding, that is what worked for me. I still had to hand express to get a letdown when I was engorged but I wouldn't empty the breast to tell it to make more milk. Just emptied enough milk to make me comfortable, just a few tablespoons.

It'll take a few weeks to get totally "fixed" but I noticed improvement in a few days.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amy.marie View Post
    This is a great link. Tons of OALD/OS info and advice. Especially block feeding. Stop pumping, start block feeding, that is what worked for me. I still had to hand express to get a letdown when I was engorged but I wouldn't empty the breast to tell it to make more milk. Just emptied enough milk to make me comfortable, just a few tablespoons.

It'll take a few weeks to get totally "fixed" but I noticed improvement in a few days.
    I would like to pump before bed to store milk for when I go back to work. Should I stop that for now and restart when my supply is more regulated? Thanks for the replies!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sugarplum View Post
    I would like to pump before bed to store milk for when I go back to work. Should I stop that for now and restart when my supply is more regulated? Thanks for the replies!
    if you continue to pump it will take longer for your supply to even out. That doesn't mean you can't do it if you want to work on your freezer stash, just beware that it will add to the problem. I hope you get it fixed soon, I know how tiring it can be to deal with.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies