Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What do you do now that your LO is one???

Default What do you do now that your LO is one???

So DD turned one last week!!! I'm confused though about what I need to do now...

She probably nurses on demand at least 6 times a day. We co-sleep so she usually nurses at night. She takes 3 solid meals a day. I usually offer her fruits/veggies/whole grains/sometimes cheese or yogurt and occasionally meats. I am at work 4 days per week and those days she drinks 2 - 4 oz bottles of EBM (I come home at lunch and nurse as well).

So I guess I'm confused about if I should start offering her snacks twice a day with the EBM. Do I need to pump at all? The ped kinda said that if she's drinking the EBM and nursing and I feel like she's getting at least 16 oz of milk a day that I don't have to give her CM. Do I now need to make a greater effort to make sure she's offered protein/dairy, etc?

I'm not trying to wean her and am taking the child-led approach. I'm just confused I can't find a whole lot of info about what she needs to eat right now. I'd like to know what other moms are doing! TIA!
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Default Re: What do you do now that your LO is one???

no need to rush and change things just cause she is one year old now.
    Dr sears has some great books on nurition and you can look at his web site also and find some info on feeding toddlers.

IF she is thriving and gaining wieght well don't change a thing.

You can keep pumping if that suits you!
    Last edited by @llli*andreafromohio; May 28th, 2009 at 07:09 AM.

to your DD! for you mama.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babygirl05 View Post

The ped kinda said that if she's drinking the EBM and nursing and I feel like she's getting at least 16 oz of milk a day that I don't have to give her CM.
    my pedi says the same thing. at 17 months, DS only gets the bit of cow's milk i use in his cereal in the morning.

Andrea's right: just because she is a year now, don't feel rushed to change things. it sounds like she is eating great! and if you have been pumping regularly up until this point, continue for as long as you wish.

as far as the snacks, DS would eat *maybe* one snack a day around that time and some days were hit and miss. we gradually added in more solids here and there. he was BF 6-8x a day until about 14 1/2-15 mos so i was not too concerned about his snacks.
    JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!

I'd pump wean if I were you. If you are nursing while together 3-5x a day that's enough. Especially if your child IS eating other dairy. Like cheese and yogurt. When I went back Full Full time @ 14months, I never pumped and my son wouldn't drink cow's milk. He drank a sippy full of water while away from me and we nursed while together.
    If you LIKE to pump you don't have to give it up, but after you hit the year point yu can trust your body to make enough when you are together.

Way too lazy for formula

Thank you for the replies I feel better now that what I'm doing is fine. I just wasn't sure if I should push more food on DD or what. So it's okay that I keep going at her pace then, that's good. Just want to make sure I'm doing everything right you know I think I will continue to pump for the time being - as long as she's drinking the milk when I'm away. I know this is weird, but I actually like to pump! If i didn't pump, I wouldn't get breaks at work and it's 15 minutes 2x per day that NO ONE bothers me and I can actually sit and read a book!!!
    Proud mom of 2:

oh yeah keep pumping as long as you feal like its working for you.
    IF she is drinking the milk that's realy good for her and for you also.
    There are great benifits to moms when they are nursing longer.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andreafromohio View Post
    IF she is drinking the milk that's realy good for her and for you also.
    There are great benifits to moms when they are nursing longer.
    that's another (selfish) reason I don't want to stop...I don't want AF coming back Don't miss her!

I really don't mind, but...You know how family and everyone always has to ask "Why are you still doing THAT?" It makes you start to question yourself. I'm glad DH has been supportive all of the way. We had a rough start to BF and he never once mentioned "bottle". He told me the other day that DD likes my milk and that's how I know I'm doing the right thing with "extended" BFing.
    Proud mom of 2:

I know this is weird, but I actually like to pump! If i didn't pump, I wouldn't get breaks at work and it's 15 minutes 2x per day that NO ONE bothers me and I can actually sit and read a book!!!
    BTDT myself!

I'm glad DH has been supportive all of the way. We had a rough start to BF and he never once mentioned "bottle". He told me the other day that DD likes my milk and that's how I know I'm doing the right thing with "extended" BFing.
    yay for supportive DH!

you are doing a wonderful job mama! keep it up!
    JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ohiomama View Post

you are doing a wonderful job mama! keep it up!
    Thanks!!! I don't have a lot of people around me who BF and the few people I do have all weaned their LO's by 1, so I really love all the support here! Thanks!
    Proud mom of 2: