Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 28 months still going and then came 29

Default Re: 28 months still going and then came 29

Kelly
    Congratulations on the journey you've had with Gabe. Bring on the next stage! You are such a wonderful Mother.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Wow. You made me tear up
    Good job mama! I think it's so wonderful when a child feels comfortable enough to wean on their own
    Hi, I'm Lisa, mommy to:
    *Emily Grace 12-13-06.weaned with at 3 1/2
    *Abigail 9-12-08 born at 28 weeks 2lbs 13oz-Now my 2 year old nursing chunky monkey
    Nursing after a 12 week stay in the NICU

:

Well Ladies, I may have spoken too soon! On Sunday he asked to nurse out of the blue (at bedtime) and did so for a couple minutes, in which he popped off and said I all done, you can go now (nice use me and lose me... ) Then again last night, he was playing "I am your mommy" and jokingly I said oh if your the mommy, are you going to nurse your baby, and he got all excited, Yeah I want to nurse, and the I am the mommy game was over. This morning bright and early he asked to nurse again.... Maybe these will be my last moment's with him asking, but I am cherishing each one and all the time knowing that what we have is a bond that is stronger than the nursing alone and we will continue to build upon it even when that part of our relationship has ended!
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

Kelly. I remember with Nora I kept trying to remember everything about each time she'd ask to nurse, just in case it was the last time. It never hurts to cherish every moment.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I'm in the same boat... my LO hasn't nursed for about 2.5 weeks, but this past weekend she did ask to nurse. (She had been sick late last week, which may have contributed to her extra clinginess??) I told her, "You drank all the moo moo's all gone, remember?" She seemed to accept that for an answer and then promptly forgot about it. Anyway, I thought about letting her try, but DH seems really happy that she's finally weaned (she's been WAY more clingy with him than she was before), and I'm not planning on tandem nursing, so I just decided to not let her nurse, unless she throws a HUGE fit, of course.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

CONGRATULATIONS! What a great journey you have made! Congrats on making it so far, in a world that frowns on nursing, ecspecially past a year! Good Luck!!!
    Wife to my childhood sweetheart Joey since 12/07/06
    Mother to my baby girl Abigail Rae Perkins born 08/05/07

*Update*

He's asking to nurse here and there and not on any regular pattern or schedule. I oblige and am wondering if this is setting things up to make transitioning from one child to two even harder? Will this cause resentment? I was sad that our relationship was ending but was getting used to the idea and even liked that I would have a little bit of "freedom" from nursing for just a little while but now I am wondering if I am doing more harm than good by obliging?
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

I don't think so. Even if you don't want to tandem, why not honor his feelings and wishes around it while he's the only one?

Way too lazy for formula

That's what I was thinking too, Shelly, but then you have the naysayers whispering in your ear and my own guilt that I could be hurting the relationship....being a mom is hard!
    Kelly

I think you're doing fine, Kelly. That's how Nora was at the end. there was just more and more space between each time she asked. Sometimes when she asked I'd put her off or distract her, sometimes I'd say "OK" but then didn't do anything to initiate and she'd just go back to playing- like she just wanted to know that I'd say yes, but she didn't really want it. And sometimes I'd nurse her. She slowly petered out.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous