Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: EP but would like to BF

Question EP but would like to BF

Hello,
    I am new here and so glad I found you! I had a 32 week premie in February and I have been exclusively pumping for her. I tried for 6 weeks after she came home to BF, but was unsuccessful. She would try for a while, and then give up and we would have to suppliment 1-3 oz. It was taking me up to 2 hours to BF, bottle feed the breastmilk, and then pump and clean up. I finally gave up on the breast feeding due to frustration, and just pump now. I really mourned not being able to BF, and was told by my MD and several LC's that is was VERY difficult to get a baby back on the breast...but it sounds as if several of you were successful. I go back to work in 3 weeks, but would like to BF if at all possible when I am home. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to make it work?

She receives only breastmilk, and I have a large supply, so that is not an issue. I do think I have a slow let down though as it can take 30 minutes to pump 6-8 oz. I pump every 4-6 hours, and she is thriving now! Thanks in advance!

Default Re: EP but would like to BF

How old is your LO now? What was her due date?

No, it is not impossible to get them back to the breast, especially preemies. Many don't even understand how to BF until around their due date anyways.

Do you kangaroo care? If not, that can be invaluable. We did it all the time. Lots of skin to skin, even when giving the bottle. Do you so-sleep? If you don't, consider it, it can help. Wear your baby as much as you can. if you can wear her topless, even better. Let her try and latch while cuddled up next to you in the carrier. Take baths with baby, encourage nursing in the tub.

Once she starts to try and latch an SNS can be helpful. That way she will be getting fed while still suckling, then her latch will just get stronger and stronger and you can eventually ditch the SNS.

You can definitely do this mama. It isn't the easiest thing in the world, but absolutely doable!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I agree with previous poster, she gave you all the details about skin to skin contact.... That is the best way to stimulate the baby to look for your breast... also, put her on your chest and try to express milk so that she can get the smell and root for it...

Like previous poster said, some preemies will root for breastfeeding after their due date, I know some other might take even longer....

Dont give up mama, you are doing great.... I wont say its easy cause is not, it require like of patient, the good thing is that is doable

Her due date was April 11th, and she is now about 7 weeks adjusted, so she should be very capable now. I don't kangaroo as much as I used to as I have started doing more house duties that I was shirking. I had gotten so frustrated with it, that I really just quit after being discourage by my MD and the LC told me it could take up to 8 more weeks...I just couldn't do it that much longer, but I do miss it. Pumping is going extreemly well, and I have about a 2 month supply in the freezer. I just curse the pump everytime I hook up...

Also, I was discouraged by my LC from using the SNS. She said it was just best to let the baby take the lead and suppliment as needed. I just was always supplimenting more than she was getting...

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I will keep trying!
    Missy
    Wife to wonderful Hubby
    Mommy to Abby Grace-former 32 week preemie 4lbs 4 oz
    We had a 4 week NICU stay, and came home with no monitors or meds!!!

Does your LC have an IBCLC credential? She seems to be discouraging you a lot instead of encouraging you!

Yeah, in a perfect world you could let the baby take the lead and things would go well. But you had a baby 2 months early, that isn't a perfect scenario. Sometimes those babies need help, heck, babies that aren't early sometimes need help. I don't see anything wrong with the SNS at all, it helped us a lot.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I agree that in the case with the SNS and the nipple shield that they shouldn't just be handed out to women (which they are sometimes) so for a baby that is currently taking the breast ok, they often create more problems than they solve.

HOWEVER. If baby is not at the breast (or there are some serious problems or difficulty), then they can be a useful tool to help baby nurse. I would get fitted for a nipple shield (don't just go buy one, they must fit well to ensure that they work correctly) and the SNS is best used with the help of someone with experience.

I think in your situation I would try to nurse first - it can be a long process but your in a better spot now! Here's a really good link there are sort of "stages" to think of so that you can see progress. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html

It's late so I won't go into much detail, but it can be done! My DD2 was born at 28 weeks and only had bottles until 42 weeks and is EBF now! Hang in there!
    Hi, I'm Lisa, mommy to:
    *Emily Grace 12-13-06.weaned with at 3 1/2
    *Abigail 9-12-08 born at 28 weeks 2lbs 13oz-Now my 2 year old nursing chunky monkey
    Nursing after a 12 week stay in the NICU

: