Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: flouride is BAD

Default flouride is BAD

hi - I noticed that some ladies are giving their lo's flouride and I wanted to share the info that I recently discovered about flouride with you.

Flouride is made from Flourine a highly poisonous gas, it also interfers with hormone balance - now I don't want to frighten anyone and you dont need to panic (I have had flouride toothpaste myself all of my life until I found this out)
    You can look into it yourself to see..

I have switched to non - flouride toothpaste - the old fashioned stuff Euthyml (it has a strong taste but is far better than any other toothpaste I have ever used)

Also we don't drink tap water here as it has flouride in it, we buy bottled water.

Flouride is not a good idea.

Default Re: flouride is BAD

there are both positive and negative aspects to fluoride. Children under 2 (or children who do not know how to "spit") should never use toothpaste with fluoride in it. However, once children can spit the toothpaste out, fluoride helps to prevent cavities. With the amount of bottled water out there (and in home filters) it's very rare that a person is getting too much fluoride. The down side to fluoride is that it can make you more susceptible to gingivitis after prolonged use. There's good and bad, and every family needs to make an informed decision that works well for them.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

After reading this I did a little research of my own and found this link to be particularly helpful:
    http://www.fluoridealert.org/fluoride-facts.htm

What's scary is that our ped suggested DD start drinking tap water so she can start getting flouride for her teeth
    Carie

Wife to Jimmy 8/14/09

Mommy to Abigail Elizabeth born 8/12/08
    Birth weight: 9lbs 1oz 20"
    2 months: 12lbs 10oz 23 1/2"
    4 months: 16lbs 6oz 26"
    6 months: 19lbs 14oz 27 1/2"
    9 months: 23lbs 3oz 30 1/2"
    12 months: 26lbs 13oz 36"

We made it to a year and we're still going strong

Working &

I'm not saying flouride is good or bad. Like most parenting choices we each have to weight the benefits versus the risks for our children and families and make the decision we think is right. But to say it is bad because it is made from a toxic gas is not exactly a logical conclusion. Water is made from a toxic gas, too. Hydrogen and Oxygen are both toxic gases. There may be plenty of reasons you decide not to use flouridated water, but make sure you're making an informed decision.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous