Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 month old starting solids

Default 4 month old starting solids

My 4 month old son recently started eating rice cereal due to the fact that he was feeding every 2 hours at the baby sitter. He still drinks about 5 oz at a feeding (he was eating 7 oz if he went 3 hr intervals) and goes 3-4 hours, occasionally 5 during the day. He still wakes to nurse 2-3 times at night/early morning but only nurses about 5-10 minutes. At night I have been giving him one jar of baby food as he really seems to enjoy it, will this cause him to want to wean early?

Default Re: 4 month old starting solids

You're concerned your baby will wean 'early'. That's not something you want to happen because you know breastmilk is the best thing for him. Whether or not he will wean "early" is not something that can be answered definitively. Getting solids this early, however can decrease certainly his desire to nurse.

It is typical for a baby to want to nurse/eat every 2 hours during the day and a few times at night.

Can I ask why you're wanting to fill his diet with something other than breastmilk??

This link talks a little more about starting solids.
    Last edited by @llli*number4; May 25th, 2009 at 08:07 PM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

His grandmother watches him during the day and gave him cereal without my knowing, but I didn't even know it would be a problem. I started my other son on cereal at 4 months, but he was on formula. I didn't realize what a problem it could be as my pediatrician recommended it...he really seems to love solids and right now he has cut back his nursings a little as I stated in my previous post...so I just wanted to see what advice I could get to where I can keep everyone happy (grandmother, baby, and mommy)

is there a reason why grandma doesn't want to give him expressed milk every two hours? Breastmilk digest faster than formula, because it's easier on baby's tummy, and so nursing/getting a bottle of EBM every two hours is completely normal. This whole idea of a baby "needing" to go 3-4 hours is ridiculous. Yes formula fed babies can go for 3-4 hours (for a variety of reasons, including that formula is harder to digest and therefore takes longer, as well as the fact that is easier to over feed a baby when you're using a bottle, etc.) but that doesn't mean that every baby should be waiting 3-4 hours between meals. Perhaps just explain to grandma that every 2 hours is normal and it doesn't mean that he's extra hungry or that he isn't getting enough. That's JM2C.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

I have had the conversation with her about breastmilk digestion etc...she is not exactly pro breastfeeding and complains that as a daycare provider that it is too hard for her to feed the baby every 2 hours and chase toddlers. She insists on having some sort of schedule she can follow to make it easier on her....which I understand but I really hate it. I have practically no choice but to use her as my childcare provider though because she is only charging me 150/week to watch two kids and I can't get any better than that.

How many kids is she watching? She is your LO grandmother and she doesn't want to do as you ask regarding feeding?
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

In addition to the other question above that was asked what is the feeding schedule like then? I am trying to see how feeding baby food/cereal is a benefit to her and her time.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

She is very stubborn and set in her ways...she also refuses to use my cloth diapers

Everything she does is right apparantly

So apparantly by feeding him rice cereal and bananas she is able to feed him two 5 ounce bottles a day at exactly 10:30 and 2:30. She like to know EXACTLY what time to do everything. They go down EXACTLY at 12 for a nap.
    Before he was eating a 7 ounce bottle every 2-3 hours, but he was sleeping 6 hours at night....now he is eating 5 ounces at a time over a span of 9 feedings......

It sounds like you have a difficult situation... My MIL is also not well-informed on BF babies etc, but luckily she works with me more. Since it sounds like you can't change your situation, I would suggest minimizing the solids you LO gets as much as possible. i.e. don't give him any when you're with him, just nurse, nurse, nurse. Get as much BM in him as possible!

You might want to question your pedi too. Mine says things sometimes like that and I know it's not current research...I just do my own research and ignore him. Good luck!
    I'm Hilary: Wife to DH since 5-11-02, Mother to born 8-25-08
    "If I had known it was this much fun, we would have done this a long time ago!" (DH re DS)

210(pg)****205****200****195****190****185****180* ***175****170****165********155****150****145****140****135(TTC!!)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*beau.smomma View Post
    Since it sounds like you can't change your situation, I would suggest minimizing the solids you LO gets as much as possible. i.e. don't give him any when you're with him, just nurse, nurse, nurse. Get as much BM in him as possible!
    That sounds really frustrating! I agree with pp, if you can't change what is happening with grandma I would definitely nurse as much as possible when he's with you and continue to pump at work so your supply remains good.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous