Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: oh, poop!

Unhappy oh, poop!

My son is seven months old and he started solids last month. So far he has eaten rice cereal, bananas, green beans, sweet potatos, and pears. Before he started solids he didn't poop often, about twice per week and it slowed down when he started solids. Now he is completely constipated. It's not even it's normal consistancy, it's like rocks, I feel so bad for him he strains and strains and nothing comes out. I quit giving him bananas because I heard they could constipate him and I quit giving him cereal because he doesn't like it made with water and I hate to pump all the time to make cereal. What is the recomendation for a constipated baby who recently started solids? Pretty much all he does eat now is sweet potatos, green beans, and pears. Are anything of those known to cause constipation? Could it be an allergic reaction of some kind? He also is still breastfeeding his normal amount. Please help!

Default Re: oh, poop!

It sounds like you are concerned that your baby is constipated because of starting solids...seems to me like you are right on track. Even though it is recommended for babies to start solids between 4-6 mo. (by most peds) 6-7 mo. is still very young to be eating a lot of solids. Neither of my babies ate much until at least 9 mo. Cutting out bananas and cereal will help a lot. Babies really don't need the cereal anyway. Your breast milk is a complete food and solids at this stage are for experimentation, not really for nutritional value. You may want to back off on solids completely and just nurse until he is pooping regularly again. Then you can keep trying soft veggies (like squash and sweet potato) and some fruits (pears and prunes are great). You can also try a little whole milk plain yogurt - or make your own oatmeal and puree it and add a little of your breast milk. Let us know if these things help!

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*eelme.eelme1 View Post
    It sounds like you are concerned that your baby is constipated because of starting solids...seems to me like you are right on track. Even though it is recommended for babies to start solids between 4-6 mo. (by most peds) 6-7 mo. is still very young to be eating a lot of solids. Neither of my babies ate much until at least 9 mo. Cutting out bananas and cereal will help a lot. Babies really don't need the cereal anyway. Your breast milk is a complete food and solids at this stage are for experimentation, not really for nutritional value. You may want to back off on solids completely and just nurse until he is pooping regularly again. Then you can keep trying soft veggies (like squash and sweet potato) and some fruits (pears and prunes are great). You can also try a little whole milk plain yogurt - or make your own oatmeal and puree it and add a little of your breast milk. Let us know if these things help!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Thank you so much for the advice, it sounds like a great idea and we're going to give it a try.

DD has poopy issues sometimes, too. I usually don't give her rice cereal on a daily basis. Only about 3x a week. Also, I try to alternate prunes and pears for a fruit every other day. If you think about it, when you get the stomach virus the doc usually says "eat the BRAT diet" to help w/ loose stools. BRAT being Banannas, Rice, Apples and Toast. Well, I've noticed w/ DD if I give too much rice or apples (we have a bannana allergy so we don't eat these) that she tends to get stopped up. Alternating the prunes/pears every other day seems to keep things moving a lot better down there and we have a lot less "little hard ball" poops.
    Carie

Wife to Jimmy 8/14/09

Mommy to Abigail Elizabeth born 8/12/08
    Birth weight: 9lbs 1oz 20"
    2 months: 12lbs 10oz 23 1/2"
    4 months: 16lbs 6oz 26"
    6 months: 19lbs 14oz 27 1/2"
    9 months: 23lbs 3oz 30 1/2"
    12 months: 26lbs 13oz 36"

We made it to a year and we're still going strong

Working &

When Abby got really constipated at about that age I stopped solids and nursed until she got regular again. It took about 3-4 days. Now I make sure she gets prunes often and because she's older she also gets beans which help a lot. I never give her cereal, she refuses to eat it and rice cereal is especially constipating. I also do sweet potatoes in moderation b/c they seem to constipate her too.Constipation sucks! I hope your LO is feeling better.
    DD (7/23/08) self weaned at 17 months
    DS (6/20/10) nursing like a champ