Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaned at 20 months, wondering if he was really ready.

Default Weaned at 20 months, wondering if he was really ready.

My lo had his last nursing session when he was about 20 months old, but I'm not sure if he was totally ready to wean or if it was more me that was getting tired and may have jumped to conclusions. We were down to the only nursing session being the one before bed, and one night he refused to nurse, so I put him down to sleep. Then he cried a couple minutes later and I nursed him to sleep. He continued to nurse the next few nights until he refused and then went to sleep. I had expected him to start crying and change his mind, but he didn't! And so that was the end of it. I didn't offer anymore because I thought he wanted to stop and I'd be pushing it. But now it feels like I may have been abrupt because it sounds like other people go days in between. Isn't the milk supply all messed up after a couple days of no nursing? We were down to just this last one nursing session. I had mixed feelings about it, I was heartbroken and relieved at the same time as he never had any formula, it was just me making every bit and I'm also doing a doctoral program. I'm feeling guilty about it now and am wishing he was still nursing. Is this how weaning went for any of you? Thanks.
    I'm proud to be first woman in my family to breastfeed!
    cloth diapering convert!
    Loving the homemade baby food!

Default Re: Weaned at 20 months, wondering if he was really ready.

mama. I think it sounds like you weaned gently and that he was ready for you to take that step. An opportunity presented itself and you took advantage of it. IMO if he truly wasn't ready he would have been screaming and protesting the following nights. I can understand the sadness and regret. We weaned a month ago at 21mos and there are times when I miss it. But, I take pride in knowing how long we nursed and how gently we weaned. So, be proud of yourself mama, 20mos is a great accomplishment!
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Default Re: Weaned at 20 months, wondering if he was really ready.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lilbirdie22 View Post
    mama. I think it sounds like you weaned gently and that he was ready for you to take that step. An opportunity presented itself and you took advantage of it. IMO if he truly wasn't ready he would have been screaming and protesting the following nights.
    If he wasn't ready he would have let you know! You really should feel proud of yourself for keeping on for 20 months- think how many women give up after a few weeks! Or just say "it's not for me" and go straight to formula! Give yourself a big hug and a pat on the back from me.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"