Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Transition to cup at daycare

Question Transition to cup at daycare

My DD is one year old. She knows how to use a sippy/straw cup, but she typically only takes a few sips from it and then loses interest. This is fine at home since she still expresses a desire to nurse 8-10x/day. She attends daycare 3 times a week, though, and I would like her to fully transition to a cup when she is there. Daycare has had a difficult time getting her to accept a bottle since Day One, and they typically wait until she is just about to fall asleep then pop the bottle in her mouth. Across a 10-hour span, they are lucky to get her to take 8 ounces of EBM from the bottle (and this is with scalding which has made my milk much tastier). So, I thought the transition to a cup at daycare would go smoother, but it hasn't. They continue to offer her a bottle as the primary method of feeding her, and then offer her a sippy cup with her solid meal. As she does at home, she only takes a couple of sips before losing interest. The difference, however, is that she tends to consume 2-4 tablespoons of solids at daycare, while only consuming 2 teaspoons at home if I'm around (I should probably note that she has been a slow bloomer with the solids, only recently accepting anything but BM). So, she is obviously more interested in nursing at this point, and that's okay, but I would like to get rid of the bottle. Any ideas how to do this? Do I just take it away completely, send the sippy/straw cup to daycare, and hope she takes it? How do they offer it to her? Should they offer her the cup like the do the bottle, when she about to fall asleep? What if she refuses all day? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!!

Oh, I should also note that my DH will be out for the summer soon and will be taking care of DD while I'm at work. So, he will be the one offering her the cup in the very near future, and I know he's a bit nervous about her going all day without eating much. He will be offering her solids so this should help tremendously, but he is concerned that she will still cry for BM.

Thanks for your help!!
    Mommy to Baby K, born 5-13-08 after 30 hours of labor and a c-section

Pumped for 30 months

3 years of breastfeeding and counting!!!!

I'm a (breastfeeding) (vegetarian) mama!

Default Re: Transition to cup at daycare

Hi there,

My lo is 11 mo. so I thought I would chime in.

Just an encouragement - she only takes 6-8 oz. of bm (once in while 3-4, when she's teething) everyday at daycare and she's away from me for 8 hours. So...you're not too off. She also eats more solids when away from me and nurses more on the weekends (although only 5-6x a day nursing).

Also, she won't take a sippy cup - only a bottle.

My first lo was quite easy going and even he didn't give up his bottle until 15 mo. - with me really pushing him to use a cup.

I think your lo sounds quite normal.

I struggle with not worrying about how much my lo is eating/drinking - but I know that diaper output and weight gain is the best measure of all. so...as long as she is happy and healthy and has good diaper output, I wouldn't worry (or have your DH worry) about how much she is eating/drinking.

Generally, I think, babies know what they need and will ask for it when they are ready. JMHO.

Sorry to write so much, I just am going through this right now myself!

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Default Re: Transition to cup at daycare

Thanks for the response. I've spoken to enough breastfeeding moms to know that my DD's slow start to solids is normal for breastfed babies. I used to worry about the amount of EBM she was taking at daycare, but I've come to realize that she is getting enough based on weight/health, etc as long as she also has the opportunity to nurse freely on daycare nights. I really only mentioned all of that as background since I think it's important information to have when deciding how/if/when to wean from a bottle. I would like to remove the bottle, but I'm concerned that taking it away will mean that she will refuse a cup and go hungry. I guess I just don't know how to go about the transition. Most of my friends with formula-fed babies just took the bottle away. Is this is a good idea for breastfed babies? Is offering her a cup with her one solid meal at daycare enough for now? Where do I go from there? Since they can only get her to take a bottle when she is falling asleep, how do I replace a milk feeding with a cup of milk in this way?
    Mommy to Baby K, born 5-13-08 after 30 hours of labor and a c-section

Pumped for 30 months

3 years of breastfeeding and counting!!!!

I'm a (breastfeeding) (vegetarian) mama!