Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Prune Juice?

Default Prune Juice?

It's been 3 days since LO's last poop (she's 7 1/2 months and has been on some solids now for over a month without any issues). I wouldn't typically worry about it, but with solids in there and the fact that she's straining from time to time, I want to help her get things moving.

I was going to pick up prune juice. I understand I need to dilute it. Is it 50/50? Any other advice?
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Default Re: Prune Juice?

If you haven't already, my suggestion would be to lay off the solids and just breast feed. Also, what are you giving her that might be constipating her? When you do introduce solids again, start back slowly again, especially with the offending food.

I've never actually heard about diluting it for that purpose though. I'm sure 50/50 would be fine though.

This happened with my son at 6 months, and bananas were the culprit for him. It helped a lot when we cut out all solids for a bit and then started slowly again with them.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Guess who had a BIG POOP when I went up to get her? She must have known I was posting!!

I decided to make some pears for her and will have them on hand. Maybe making a point of giving them to her every other day to keep things moving.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

I alternate pears or prunes every other day with appples or apple mix fruit on the in between days. I've found that this helps keep things moving. I also don't give rice cereal every day, only about 3x per week.
    Carie

Wife to Jimmy 8/14/09

Mommy to Abigail Elizabeth born 8/12/08
    Birth weight: 9lbs 1oz 20"
    2 months: 12lbs 10oz 23 1/2"
    4 months: 16lbs 6oz 26"
    6 months: 19lbs 14oz 27 1/2"
    9 months: 23lbs 3oz 30 1/2"
    12 months: 26lbs 13oz 36"

We made it to a year and we're still going strong

Working &

what kinds of soilds are you giving?
    my dd couldn't have more then 1/2 a bannana or any cereal or she would have trouble pooping for sure.

Abby hates prune juice but will eat prunes. Of course she will only eat the gerber kind, she hates homemade. So that's a thought too. The most I've ever given her is an entire container of stage 1, that's plenty to get her going.
    DD (7/23/08) self weaned at 17 months
    DS (6/20/10) nursing like a champ

We started our lo early on solids at 3m despite the recommendations to wait until 4-6m. (His pediatrician gave the green light.) He still nurses as much as ever AND takes cereal 2x a day.

A couple weeks ago he began getting constipated (he's 4 1/2m now). We used suppositories 3x but decided we didn't want to b/cm dependent on them, so we switched to diluted prune juice in his cereal (half juice, half bm) 2 days ago. He was weirded out at first but then grew to LOVE it. Last night he had his first magnificent BM without a hint of straining. In fact, we didn't even know he had pooped until we saw the brown color through the diaper minutes later. Yay for prune juice!
    ----------------
    First-time mother to baby Ian born January 17th, 2009; 9lbs 2oz; 21 inches; all natural birth experience
    My Blog: www.life-with-ian.blogspot.com

BF'ing for 14 months
    At Home:
    At Work:

I don't know if I'd do prune juice (yes, I saw she pooped already, but this is for future reference).

My DD has irregular bowels (IBS runs in our family), so we give her Yo' Baby. She loves the vanilla. Also, when she is very clogged I give her baby prunes and baby apples mixed. She loves that, too. But be careful with the prunes- they can cause diarrhea if you give too many.