Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: HELP! 10 month old only breastfeeds!

Question HELP! 10 month old only breastfeeds!

Ok ladies,
    I've asked her pediatrician and she gives me limited responses. My problems.
    1.) She ONLY breastfeeds.. and I literally mean only breastfeeds.
    2.) She won't take bottles, cups, sippy cups, or pacifiers.
    3.) She is 10 months old
    Ok so I'm just basically worried. I would LOVE to just keep breastfeeding forever since I'm a single stay at home mom with nothing to do all day but spend time with my angel but I'm worried that she can't live off this sole nutrition for too long. I've heard of mothers that only give there babies breastmilk for up to 2 years. But I use to think that wasn't possible nor was it healthy. Everyone tells me that it will pass. And to keep trying with the baby foods and cups of water or breastmilk but she won't take it. Is this normal let all ok?? If anyone could please help me out. I would very much appreciate it.
    Thanks,
    Vicky

Mommy of my 10 month old angel.. ~*~Miss Angelina Gabrielle~*~

Default Re: HELP! 10 month old only breastfeeds!

I think this is very normal. Breastmilk should anyway be the main source of nutrition through the first year of a baby's life. I'd say keep offering other foods - I am in the same boat as you (My little one turns 10 months next week)! These forums are great and helped reinforce my confidence.

It's okay! As the above poster mentioned, breastmilk should make up the majority of baby's diet for the first full year of life. Any foods prior to one year are only for baby to experiment with anyhow You're doing a great job! Keep it up!

you might want to ask your ped for daily vitamins (for baby) for the iron. iron is lacking in breastmilk. babies on solids usually get it from the cereals--rice oatmeal etc. goodluck!

you might want to ask your ped for daily vitamins (for baby) for the iron. iron is lacking in breastmilk. babies on solids usually get it from the cereals--rice oatmeal etc. goodluck!
    While I agree that it's a good idea to discuss this issue with the baby's doctor I also wanted to add that in the United States it's almost universal for baby's to be given a multi-vitamin very early on even though they aren't warranted. Breastmilk is the perfect food!

Babies usually have enough iron stores in their bodies to last them at least 6 months but more closer to 9 months to a year if baby was full-term. Introducing supplemental iron through iron-fortified cereals or through a multi-vitamin can actually impede the baby's body's ability to absorb the iron in his mother's breastmilk. Breastmilk contains less iron than supplemental sources but it is more readily absorbed by the baby's body.

I usually encourage anyone who is suspect of anemia to simply have their baby tested at the doctor's office.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/vitamin.html

Saying breastmilk needs to be supplemented always sets off the red flags for me. I remember reading how iron is recommended for breastfeeding because there was less iron in breastmilk and THEN more studies were done and they discovered the iron in breastmilk was more readily absorbed by baby. Big surprise. What were cavemen doing, do you suppose?

As for Vitamin D, we sun bathe for 10 minutes every day we can, and if it's too cold, we often open a window for that 10 minutes and nurse there. I've had NO issues with sun burn. Good for Vitamin D, the winter blahs, and high bilirubin.

Like everyone has said, all is well! As long as she's wetting enough dipes and growing well, then no worries! You have all she needs. I'm dealing with the same issue now, my 8 month old only wants bm and won't take a paci or anything. She sits in her highchair at mealtime and I give her a finger food and she can taste it, smash it, throw it on the floor, whatever. I did just post about this, too, in Introducing Solids. Just keep showing her food and be relaxed about it (easier said than done!). And no vitamins necessary!

My oldest dd refused the various things I offered her starting at seven months - I did some research and it was wondrous to realize my breastmilk alone could grow such a chubby, healthy baby. One day at about a year she started drooling and looking longingly at our plates so I fixed her a little something and she ate it!

I have a 12 month old that only breastfeeds. He plays with finger foods but that is about it. I know one day it will change. I keep telling myself he won't go to college still nursing.

I agree with the pps who say your milk is all she needs for now.

I also wanted to add that maybe she really doesn't want the "baby foods" at all. You could try offering her a little "real food" such as banana, soft cooked sweet potato or squash, plain cooked rice, or soft ripe pear or peach. You never know, she might prefer a little texure.