Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Starting Solids

Default Starting Solids

I am so confused on this whole introducting solids thing. HELP !!!! My son is now 20 weeks old. He is sitting up very good, with support and has great head control which he has had since he was 12 weeks. He has been on infant ceral (rice) since 2 months due to acid reflux but that was mixed with his b-milk/formula and given via bottle. I have been feeding him rice and oatmeal ceral w/ a spoon for a few days but his daycare has been doing so for about 2 weeks. My plan was to breastfeed him first thing in the morning, then when he gets to day care they feed him ceral @ his first feeding and then pumped b-milk / formula the remainder of the time he is there. Then I feed him a Veggie at his 1st feeding at home and breastmilk there after until he goes back to day care the following day. My problem is that I am unable to pump on a regular basis at work and some times I don't get to pump at all. So it's causing a reduction in my milk supply and Dylan is starting to cut teeth. So I figured now is a good time to get him used to solids because I don't know how much longer I will be able to b-feed/pump. So, I started him on Sweet Potatoes on Tuesday and he at about 1/2 of a small jar and then I gave him the same thing on Wednesday and he ate the entire jar. My husband is going to offer him Green Beans tonight. My issue is now I have been reading and it says not to start him on solids yet & to have him on the ceral alot longer than I did before starting the solids. What do you guys think ????
    1ST TIME MOMMY OF BABY BOY DYLAN THOMAS BORN 12/29/2008 - BREECH BORN VIA C-SECTION 7LBS 7 OZ 21" - NOW @ 16 WEEKS 20LBS

AND

Default Re: Starting Solids

As far as I can tell, the most common recommendation is to delay solids until the 6 month mark. According to my pediatrician, breastmilk or formula alone is sufficient to meet a baby's nutritional needs until the first birthday. After that milestone, it is normal for the transition to a majority-solids diet to be a gradual one, with many babies eating mostly mama's milk well into the second year.

Since your baby is still so young, I would hesitate to offer solids instead of either breastmilk or formula, because either one is going to have the right proportions of fats/proteins/electrolytes/etc., whereas a jar of baby food may not. If BM/formula is a full meal, a jar of veggies is equivalent to just one side dish.

That's not to say that you should change things- you need to do what works for your baby and your family, and I don't believe that there only one right way to do things when it comes to feeding solids.

Even if your pump output dwindles and you end up relying mostly on formula or solids, I encourage you to keep nursing your baby on demand when you are together. Your milk supply will adjust so that you make enough for your baby when you are together, and less when you are apart.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My plan in the begining was to hold off on solids until I had to start him on them, but when I noticed my supply was decreasing & he was cutting teeth I thought then I had to start him on solids because he wouldn't be getting enough. If I decide to hold off on the solids is it going to cause him issues now that he has been getting cereal for 2 weeks and veggies since Monday? Can I just up and stop doing that? Will it hurt if I continue to allow day care to give him the ceral daily and just cut out the veggies and if I do that and I don't give him the cereal on the days when he's not at day care will that cause problems for him. This is all so hard.
    1ST TIME MOMMY OF BABY BOY DYLAN THOMAS BORN 12/29/2008 - BREECH BORN VIA C-SECTION 7LBS 7 OZ 21" - NOW @ 16 WEEKS 20LBS

AND

You can certainly go backwards with the solids, with no problems for your LO. I do that frequently for my DS - when he gets constipated from something I cut out some/all solids for a day or two to balance him out.

It is better to wait on the solids, but like pp said, you do what you need to for your family. Some of the reasons for delaying solids are possible earlier weaning, and possible allergies.

As for your supply, there are things you can do to increase your supply, like eating oatmeal daily, or taking an herbal supplement like fenugreek, or More Milk Plus. You could also try pumping at home a little to give your LO more BM during the day while you're gone. Most mamas have more milk in the mornings, so I used to pump when I got up, before work.

and just keep asking questions - it's the only way we learn!
    I'm Hilary: Wife to DH since 5-11-02, Mother to born 8-25-08
    "If I had known it was this much fun, we would have done this a long time ago!" (DH re DS)

210(pg)****205****200****195****190****185****180* ***175****170****165********155****150****145****140****135(TTC!!)