Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping Caused Oversupply/Imbalance

Default Pumping Caused Oversupply/Imbalance

I returned to work last week and pumped 3 sessions a day for 5 days. Getting 8, 4, and 4 ounces, so about 16 ounces a day. I thought this was great until the weekend hit. Then I ended up engorged on Saturday afternoon and night, while my DS (4 mos) was having green, watery poops (Sat and Sun). So after some research I concluded that I have an oversupply and DS is getting too much foremilk. I assume probably caused by pumping at work, since that was the only change in his diet.

So what do I do now? I can't really afford to pump more than 3 times at work. Should I just pump less at each session? Should I go down to 2 times? What is the best way to correct this oversupply caused by pumping? Has anyone else had this experience?

Default Re: Pumping Caused Oversupply/Imbalance

Wow, that's great output for the pump! You could just try pumping less at each session, that would be the easiest way to do it.

How old is your baby? Your supply might even out on it's own a bit with a little more time.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Default Re: Pumping Caused Oversupply/Imbalance

Has your O/S problem resolved itself?
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky