Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is this weaning?

Default Is this weaning?

I know that babies don't tend to wean themselves before they turn a year old, but I'm really confused right now. C has always nursed to sleep. There have only been a couple of times when someone else has put him to bed where he took a bottle of pumped milk, but other than that he will not go to sleep unless my boob is in his mouth.

For the past couple of weeks, he has refused to nurse at night. He laughs whenever I try to offer like it is the most hilarious thing. After that, he will lay his head on my chest and fall right asleep. He eats a small dinner about an hour to an hour and a half before bedtime and then he gets a bath, so I really don't think that he is already full or anything like that.

Is this just a random behavior that he is doing or is this his way of starting the process of cutting out nursing sessions? Other than this, he is nursing fine throughout the day.
    Penthouse

Mama to
    DS1 (9 years old...nursed for 7 months - how I wish this forum had been around back then!)
    DS2 (after nursing for a tad over two years, I *think* we are done )

Default Re: Is this weaning?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*MommyToAC View Post
    Is this just a random behavior that he is doing or is this his way of starting the process of cutting out nursing sessions? Other than this, he is nursing fine throughout the day.
    It sounds like it could be either- maybe it's just random, maybe your LO is starting to self-wean. But don't worry- in my admittedly limited experience, self-weaning is a drawn-out process that takes years to complete.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    It sounds like it could be either- maybe it's just random, maybe your LO is starting to self-wean. But don't worry- in my admittedly limited experience, self-weaning is a drawn-out process that takes years to complete.
    exactly what mommal said

Even if he wants to drop the session it doesn't mean that he will drop all of them. And he will probably back to 6times a night when his 1st year molars break. But I'd LOVE it if my kid would just fall asleep in my arms with no noonie!

Way too lazy for formula

Toddler nursing is unpredictable, sometimes they aren't as interested then they pick it up again. Mine went almost a whole month with nursing only once a day, then was into it again nursing 6 times a day. Could go either way, just keep offering and that feed might come back again.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09