Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing a 16 month old--how often?

Default Nursing a 16 month old--how often?

My daughter usually nurses 5-6 times during the day and as often as she like at night (we cosleep so I don't know how often ) I am wondering how often she should be nursing? She prefers to nurse to a sippy cup etc. She is VERY busy and doesn't eat alot of solids yet. Should I cut down on daytime nursing?

Default Re: Nursing a 16 month old--how often?

My dd just turned 2 and I have no idea how much we nurse in a 24 hour period Sometimes I wake up in the morning, and have no idea if she has nursed or not.

I think it depends on the child, the day, the weather, whatever For us anyway

Default Re: Nursing a 16 month old--how often?

It is perfectly natural for a toddler your dd's age to nurse as much as she is! You sound like you are doing a great job!

If she is very busy and not too interested in solids, then it is even more important for her to have the quality nutrition that your milk offers. There is no guarantee that reducing her nursing will increase her interest in solids. I would suggest you offer smaller, more frequent meals. Many toddlers do better with short snacks throughout the day. And keep up the good work!

HTH!