Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby led solids...?

Default Baby led solids...?

My DS is just coming up to 6 months, and I am feeling slightly under pressure to start him on solids at this point, but I am beginning to question if this is the right thing....
    My son is definitely not a comfort nurser, and he can go 4-5 hrs between feeds sometimes, but mainly he nurses every 3 hrs, (including at night) although of late he does not feed for long at all (15-20mins, whereas he used to nurse for at LEAST 30-40mins) I have heard that this could be ds nursing more efficiently, so I am not so concerned about this. I am starting to get quite anxious about him weaning himself, especially if I am to start solids soon... I did not bf my dd for very long at all for a variety of reasons, and am LOVING it with ds, (It is one of the most amazing things I have experienced) and am anxious for it to continue for as long as it possibly can. So what about baby led solids...? would that help us to prolong our nursing relationship? Is it truly safe? What about lumps? with my dd I remember there being a big emphasis on pureed food in case of choking... Have any of you ladies tried it? Because he isn't really a comfort nurser and goes so long sometimes it does concern me that as soon as he is offered solids he will refuse my breast...
    Also although he is by NO means underweight and there is NO concern re his weight, he is only about 16lbs 7oz at 5.5 mos....I can't help but compare him to my dd at the same age and she was HEAVIER, but maybe I am too hung up on this issue as like I said he is healthy and happy, with no concerns.
    I apologise for this being slightly rambling! Hope it all makes sense, I'd REALLY appreciate any advice
    I am Emma, mummy to my 2 amazing children

Jessica & Samuel

& makes us very happy

Wife to Chris since 21/09/2007
    Together for 7 years

Default Re: Baby led solids...?

There are lots of threads here on BLS, sometimes called BLW...if you're worried about safety I would start slowly and def recommend an infant CPR class for your own peace of mind. Try soft foods, like banana or avocado, or baked/steamed veg.

Also there's no set in stone rule that you have to start solids at 6 mos. Solids are for fun and experimentation until 1 yr anyways. Our LO acted interested at first but never really ate much...at nearly 9 mos he still mostly plays with his solids. If you're woried about his nursing, always nurse first, then offer solids, so you know he's getting all the milk he wants.

HTH
    I'm Hilary: Wife to DH since 5-11-02, Mother to born 8-25-08
    "If I had known it was this much fun, we would have done this a long time ago!" (DH re DS)

210(pg)****205****200****195****190****185****180* ***175****170****165********155****150****145****140****135(TTC!!)

BLS worked great for us! Baby controls what s/he eats, so it works really well with exclusively breastfed babies because they are well used to controlling their intake. Here's a great article.

Def take a CPR/First Aid class if you're nervous about it.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Also, there is no rule saying you have to start solids now. Rather, I think it's better to look at your baby and see if he is showing all the signs of readiness.
    From that article-
    Signs that indicate baby is developmentally ready for solids include:
    • Baby can sit up well without support.
    • Baby has lost the tongue-thrust reflex and does not automatically push solids out of his mouth with his tongue.
    • Baby is ready and willing to chew.
    • Baby is developing a “pincer” grasp, where he picks up food or other objects between thumb and forefinger. Using the fingers and scraping the food into the palm of the hand (palmar grasp) does not substitute for pincer grasp development.
    • Baby is eager to participate in mealtime and may try to grab food and put it in his mouth.
    This is also a great resource full of links.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous