Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some questions/concerns about low milk supply/prolonged bleeding

Default Re: Some questions/concerns about low milk supply/prolonged bleeding

Keep trying with the local Leaders...it is back-to-school time and I know that things get a little hairy for some. If you want me to help you find someone just let me know what area you are in and I will check.

It sounds like the SNS might work well for the two of you. There are several moms here who have used one and can give you some pointers, although it is helpful to work with someone directly as well.

I know it can be difficult when faced with questions/remarks about your feeding choices. Lots of moms I know will just use a general remark such as "Every day is a new day for me and ds. DH and I are always continually evaluating our parenting choices and think we are making the right choice for our family at this point. Thanks for asking!" (Subject closed!)

Hang in there, you ARE doing a great job. You just need a pat on the back for all of your hard work! <<<<Pat>>>>. I hope you can find a local LLL group. You can gain so much support and encouragement from moms there as well!

Here is an update on my progress. I finally was able to talk to a LLLL in my area, she was very helpful and I attended a meeting this week. I have been increasing our nursing sessions and pumping manually but I am in the process of getting a hospital grade pump and a sns. I started taking fenugreek again. Now my only problem is my own fears. Since I have been breastfeeding more lately my ds does not want to drink a bottle as much, and since he was dehydrated before I am so afraid he is not getting enough to drink. I am watching his output like a hawk, and so far things are good. I am just scared because when he was not getting enough milk in the start he did not complain, he just likes to nurse and doesn't care if he gets anything or not. I have been giving him 25-30 ounces of formula a day and so far today he has only had 8 ounces/4 ounces of pumped bm. Another problem occurred last night, he slept the entire time, and I did not have an alarm set to wake up, so he did not nurse at all. A few days ago he started sucking his thumb, I think he may doing this at night instead of waking me because I've caught him sucking his thumb a few times during the day when he is napping. Could this be a sign he is not getting enough to eat?

Babies don't usually suck their thumbs out of hunger. Usually it is just a comfort mechanism, much the same as nursing. So if ds does not spend a lot of time nursing, thumb sucking might be perfectly normal for him. (But I know you said he does like to nurse, right??)

But this is a double edged sword, because comfort-nursing can *help* stimulate supply. That is why we tell relactating moms to put babies to breast any time they want it...

So, I guess I didn't really answer your question, did I? Short of waking him in the middle of the night to nurse (which you *could* do) he is going to suck his thumb. It is a comfort to him, and there is not much you can do about it!

On another note I am glad you got in touch with a local Leader and got to a meeting!