Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideas on solids/finger foods for working moms!

Question Ideas on solids/finger foods for working moms!

I'm not sure if this post belongs here but I need some ideas on how to make feedings easier and practical. I work full time and have been making my own baby food in batches and freezing them. It has worked very well with our schedule. We just thaw a few cubes for lunch and for dinner and we are all set. It saves us a lot of time at each meal. But now my son is almost 9 months old and we want to start giving him more finger food that he can feed himself. We've been giving him puffs for him to practice and he has gotten a lot better at it, he did well with bananas as well.
    How can I continue to make his own food (I want to avoid jarred food for now) in a way that will still be practical? I do not have time to cook something every day when I get home from work. Can I cook his vegetables and fruits in small pieces and freeze them that way? When can they start eating what we eat? But as I said I do not have time to cook for us either every day. I usually cook in batches and freeze our food.
    I would love to hear what other working moms are doing for their LOs.

Default Re: Ideas on solids/finger foods for working moms!

He can start eating what you eat now for the most part. There is no need to even puree and freeze...you can give him steamed veggies, banana, fruits, etc. Like our LO was eating a whole apple or pear when he was about 9 months. We just made sure it was really ripe (pear) and they self feed. With veggies and such I would cut them up into smaller strips (people say about the size of a french fry) and let him grab and hold and handle his own food. At this point we had intro'd pasta and such as well.

It's called BLS and IMO is way easier to manage then making food, pureeing, and freezing. There are a on of threads in this forum about it.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

And sorry, BLS stands for Baby Led Solids.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi

[QUOTE=@llli*akmami;705420]Can I cook his vegetables and fruits in small pieces and freeze them that way? QUOTE]

Yes, this is what I do I just make a big batch of say broccoli, cut it up into bite size peices, then freeze in the ice cube trays just like you are doing with the puree. I like to do it this way because then it's ready and it doesn't take as long to prepare it as if you were actually going to cook it then. So there is always some kind of fruit/veggie (even rice & pasta freeze well - just add a little water to them when you reheat) ready and available in your freezer I also like to have this for days where if I'm eating pizza and not making a veggie my LO always has something there to eat HTH.

We do BLS - DD is very good at picking up the little peices of food and putting them in her mouth. I've also made and froze cooked carrot sticks - when she didn't have a great pincer grip these worked great!
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Personally I think that doing everything beforehand is just extra effort. it takes almost as much time to reheat something then just to cook it, so I never wasted much time getting everyhting ready beforehand.

If we are having say chicken and broccoli and potatoes some night, I make his right along with ours. And with BLS there is no need to cut up into small little pieces, the idea behind it is to let the baby eat whole foods, and at their own pace. The only things I ever really cup up into smaller pieces (and I only did this when he was little) was cooked carrot or something of the like that could easily break off a chunk and be a choking hazard. If the carrots were raw he got the whole thing and then chewed on it on his own. But broccoli he got the whole "tree." It can be a little intimidating at first, and it is a complete mind shift to how everyone else says we should feed our babies, but I am glad we do it this way as I feel it has helped him appreciate food more, nit because I am forcing him to eat it, but because he chooses what and how much.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

DD was eating what we were eating by that age for sure. It was soooo much easier that way. Sometimes I'd pull her portion out before adding certain ingredients- really spicy things or extra salt or whatever. Some of her faves at that age were black beans and rice, pasta with a little butter and parmesan, all kinds of veggies and fruit, and in a pinch (when we were eating something I didn't want her to have) strips of turkey lunchmeat, cheese, and toast strips.

Here's a great article on BLS, this is what 'converted' me.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I have always done BLS and we don't freeze anything.
    We DO make Bean and rice on Sundays and those go into Tuppis in the fridge for the week as those are and alway have been staple foods in his life.

Everything else my baby was eating at nine months old was fresh raw fruits and veggies. I just started introducing shredded chicken and ground turkey between 9&10 months. But I had been doing BLS all along and had no choking fears at all by the nine month point.
    I never steamed or peeled anything.
    If we cooked it to eat for us, we cooked it to eat for him. If we ate it raw so did he.

He almost always had a raw apple wedge with him by that age. Because they kept him busy for a long time and made no mess.
    Other favorite foods at this age were Watermelon, Pasta noodles (the corkscrew kind so he could grab them easily) Artichoke leaves, Raw snap peas, Whole cooked pinto beans, raw carrots, Lima beans, Spinach raw and cooked. Plums, Pears, String cheese, quesadillas, cucumber spears.
    He ate what we ate. Unless there were age restrictions on it. At 9 months he still did not eat eggs, or citrus or beef. But if we were having a Cobb salad he would get shredded chicken, shredded cheese and lettuce on his place as three different choices. No tomato at that age , no bacon or olives either because of the sodium either.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    He almost always had a raw apple wedge with him by that age. Because they kept him busy for a long time and made no mess.
    How many teeth did he have at that age (9 months). Because Abby has 8 and she bites off huge chunks of the apple and then promptly chokes, gags and vomits it back up. She does fine with many other foods but I'm scared to give her raw apple or carrot because of that.

I grate zucchini and yellow squash and saute with a little olive oil and onion. I freeze it on a sheet pan and then put into baggies. I also cook ground turkey and beef and freeze it the same way. Pearled barley is easy for them to pick up and a batch easily lasts 4 or more days in the fridge. Lentils are good and quick to make (I make mine with grated carrot and apple).
    Mostly though I try to feed her what we're eating. Leftover chicken, rice, veggies, etc. It just makes life easier.
    DD (7/23/08) self weaned at 17 months
    DS (6/20/10) nursing like a champ

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*abbymom View Post
    How many teeth did he have at that age (9 months). Because Abby has 8 and she bites off huge chunks of the apple and then promptly chokes, gags and vomits it back up. She does fine with many other foods but I'm scared to give her raw apple or carrot because of that.
    Nora had a lot of teeth at that age, too. I would give her a whole apple, that way she couldn't bite off chunks. The most she could do with a whole round apple was scrape the outer layer off. She absolutely loved them, though. I peeled some apples because some of them had a thicker skin than others. And sometimes I'd have to take a bite off the apple to get her started.

Dh would sometimes give her really thin slices of apple and she liked those, too.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*abbymom View Post
    He had 8 teeth too. Is she turning blue? If not, she is NOT choking. And gagging and puking are both natural defenses AGAINST choking. Yes he gagged and yes he puked while he was learning. But we didn't come from a place of fear when doing BLS. We read the research and we trusted it. It said that based on actual studies they did with EBF children that when left to their own devices, meaning you aren't putting anything in their mouth for them, but leaving it completely up to them, that they will NOT put more food in their mouth than they can handle. We followed it and got started right away and didn't do any halfway or modified version of it. So my 9 months my son had been completely controlling his intake of solids for 3 months. So there were no worries in our house with apples by that point. All puking and gagging happened in months 6 and 7. By 9 months he was clear what he could handle in his mouth. And FTR 9months is when he actually started SWALLOWING food. Before that almost everything that went in got pushed back out by his tongue thrust. (Another natural defense against choking.) It really is a process based on exploration.

Way too lazy for formula