Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Venting, looking for feedback and enouragement...

Default Re: Venting, looking for feedback and enouragement...

wow! lots of great advise! i see alot of women breastfeed past the one year mark -as a first time mome and breastfeeding for the past 4 1/2 months i am curious why and how breastfeeding would go past the one year -is it demmand by baby? or just wanting to offer baby the best nutrition there is for a longer period of time?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*proudmommy View Post
    BTW how long has the baby been home?
    Glad to hear I'm not alone with this! Owen has been home for 11 weeks now! It's hard to believe it's been that long.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mollyb View Post
    Emma's personality sounds a LOT like my DD1, especially at that age. Will no method of distraction or substitution work with her? A snack and/or drink would often work for my DD1.
    I talked to her a lot about how the baby needed breastmilk because she couldn't eat or drink anything else, and how she is lucky because she can eat and drink lots of other stuff. Sometimes we'd go through a list of things she could eat and drink and come up with silly things, like wormburgers or something. I think it always helps with my DD's behavior if I can keep her laughing.
    Maybe even offer a snack/drink and sit her down with it before you nurse your DS.
    What do you do when she throws a tantrum?
    I try the snack thing but when she wants to nurse, that's all that will do. I offer to cuddle with her, rock her, play with her, read to her, color - you name it. If she asks when I can manage to get her outside, that will distract her, but I can't always run for the door when she asks. Oh, and giving her a pacifier will help too - but I'm limiting that to only in her bed and in the car. We've talked about what she can eat/drink because she's a big girl and she understands that he needs my milk - when she asks for the other side when she nurses I'll explain that Owen needs that side so he has milk too and she looks at me with the cutest face and says "ok mama, Owen have that milk." I'm almost afraid to say this, for fear it will revert back again, but she's been asking a little less lately. Today she asked like 6 times - 2 of those times were when she does get to nurse. As far as the tantrum thing, I don't nurse her if she throws one. Because if I give in to her tantrum, for whatever reason she's having one, she has more of them. Instead I help her calm down and if there's some other reason I feel she really does need to nurse then (this is not often, but it happened while on vacation - she woke up from a nap when we got to my parents and was exhausted from our day and needed to go back to sleep, so I nursed her even though it was like 5pm, but she went to sleep for the night) I will nurse her after she's quit freaking out.

I don't know ladies. Part of me still loves nursing her, but that part is getting smaller and smaller. And I feel sad and o.k. about it, depending on my mood lol. I never imagined so many emotions could be packed into being a mom and nursing.
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mymayabug View Post
    wow! lots of great advise! i see alot of women breastfeed past the one year mark -as a first time mome and breastfeeding for the past 4 1/2 months i am curious why and how breastfeeding would go past the one year -is it demmand by baby? or just wanting to offer baby the best nutrition there is for a longer period of time?
    The World Heath Organization's recomendation is until the child is two. The AAP say at least until the age of one year and then for as long as the mother and child want to.
    It can be for many reasons. Mine were because of heath reasons. My daughter would get, say, a stomach bug and couldn't keep anything down, but would still be able to nurse. She also couldn't handle cow's milk until recently, so nursing was her only source of milk.
    Hi, I'm Lisa, mommy to:
    *Emily Grace 12-13-06.weaned with at 3 1/2
    *Abigail 9-12-08 born at 28 weeks 2lbs 13oz-Now my 2 year old nursing chunky monkey
    Nursing after a 12 week stay in the NICU

:

I have a similar spread in ages between my two. My older daughter got very jealous of a baby being around and even now a year later, she has her moments when she hits and throws a fit to keep me all to herself. She'll scream, No, No, No and try to push the baby away. Its heartbreaking because I want to cuddle and nurse them both.

It has been a difficult year for me and I just muddled through a day at a time. When I wanted to nurse the baby uninterrupted, I popped in a DVD for her. This is the ONLY time she is allowed to watch TV. So needless to say, she became thrilled when I would nurse the baby.

Instead of my older daughter taking the big sister role, she reverted to acting like a baby and following her little sister around. I have hilarious pictures of her knees dragging while sitting in the jumper and of her overflowing out of the seat of the baby swing acting like its a lazyboy! I think its a ploy to get the attention she sees her getting. Maybe yours is doing the same wanting to BF like the baby?

I'm just telling you what we've had to deal with here. We still have issues so I don't have a good solution. The baby is definitely leading the two of them so when the baby stops doing something, my older will too.

Your daughter may not truly want to nurse but wants the attention and is willing to compete. just a thought.