Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: newborn type nursing at 14 months??

Default newborn type nursing at 14 months??

I am so nursed out Today was the first time I actually had to try to distract ds from wanting to nurse.

He's never gone very long between nursing sessions. During the day he's never gone more than 2 hours and sometimes it's every hour. At night he would go 5-6 hours for a few weeks in the beginning (from about 2 months to 3 months old) but since then he wakes to nurse (we co-sleep) 3-5 times between 11pm and 7am. He has gone 4 hours without nursing ONCE since he was 3 months old (other then when I went out in November and he refused to take a bottle). I don't mind this. I really don't. And if it stayed like this for another few months I wouldn't mind at all.

However...... in the past few weeks or so, he's been nursing ALL. THE. TIME. He knows the hand sign for milk and is constantly asking me to nurse. I mean, he doesn't seem to want to go longer than 20 minutes between nursing sessions. I'm being sucked dry - literally. For the first time, I actually tried to distract him today. It worked for about 20 minutes and then he was pumping his hand repeatedly for milk and crying. It's like it's for comfort, because he's not actively sucking the whole time, but he cries if I unlatch him.

I love our nursing relationship, but I need to figure out how to not nurse 24 hours around the clock. I just can't do that

And I've checked for teeth and there doesn't seem to be any new ones coming, but who knows - maybe there is

If I could get him back to every 2 hours it would be great. I know he doesn't need more nutrition than that because he does GREAT with solids. 3 meals and some grazing every day (grazing is probably equivalent to a sit down snack or two).

Any ideas how to not go insane? Distraction techniques? Because he just doesn't understand the word "wait" yet Anyone else deal with this?
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Default Re: newborn type nursing at 14 months??

My first thought was teeth... then possible illness coming on... then growth spurt.

I know there were times where my older nursling increased the sessions A LOT. But, thankfully just when I was getting really really sick of them they ended or I realized what was going on (above guesses) and felt better I was able to make him feel better.

Is he cranky too? Check his temp to see if that's normal as well. Otherwise perhaps try to distract or offer some fun alternative esp. during the day if it gets too exhausting like maybe ice chips or a popsicle or juice bar (very helpful if it is teething related). BTW, it can take a while for those back teeth and molars to break through so it could be teething esp. if you rule out all other things.

Good luck to you and try to stay sane and as rested as you can. Later you'll be missing this time as crazy as that sounds.

he's not cranky (other than when he cries if I say "in a few minutes" ) and he doesn't have a fever or anything. All of his 12 months molars are in. I'm assuming that the canines are next as they are the only ones he doesn't have yet, but the gums aren't swollen at all.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

I think a lot of older nurslings go through a stage where they all of a sudden connect knowing the sign/word for nurse or milk and being able to get what they want by using it. I think that's a pretty exciting skill, and once they have it, they want to practice it A LOT. Never mind that mom's getting word down to a nub...

Anyway, maybe that's what's going on with your LO?

Distraction is definitely the name of the game. How's the weather where you are? If it's good, going outside- going anywhere, really!- is often enough to stretch the nursing sessions out a bit.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My 1st thought is also teeth. But the thing about a child nursing to combat and illness, is that sometimes that happens almost like a instinct. Like the baby starts nursing way more than normal and they don't have any idea why either, and then 1 week later a cold shows up. Try to be patient. Increased nursing like you are describing are definitely attached to a NEED. And it will show itself soon enough.

Way too lazy for formula

so...um...yeah...there are two canines coming in on top - I felt the hard swollen lumps this morning.

It seems that I always speak too soon

although, I do think that some of the frequent nursing was because he could ask. That seems to have slowed down a little. I think he was getting a kick out of doing the hand signal and me popping out a boob I really wanted him to associate the signal with milk so I nursed him every single time he asked - but now he doesn't ask, nurse for 30 seconds, giggle and get down, now he will ask to nurse and actually nurse.

Thanks
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Awesome that you know now -- and more awesome that he can be comforted by you at this tough time for him.

Canines take a while to break through as well.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*csan View Post
    My first thought was teeth... then possible illness coming on... then growth spurt.

I know there were times where my older nursling increased the sessions A LOT. But, thankfully just when I was getting really really sick of them they ended or I realized what was going on (above guesses) and felt better I was able to make him feel better.

This is soooo true.
    Everytime LO picks up nursing to that of a newborn, there is something going on.

When LO had rota virus he nursed so much that my nipples were hurting like I had just started nursing. .

Micah Mateo 10 months old
    And my angel Tyler born and passed 3/3/06

I was going to suggest canine teeth too. They really do seem to cause a fair amount of pain - well for my four anyway.

I have always advocated to Mums to not even think about starting to wean until after the canines have come in, as nursing can help so much with the pain and crankiness that comes with them.

Keep up the great work of respecting your baby's needs.
    Mother of four children in beautiful New Zealand

Also I read somewhere (maybe someone else can help here) on LLL website or in the book "Mothering Your Nursing Toddler" that between 12 and 18 months can be a time when they revert back to the infant frequency of nursing and peaks around 14 to 16 mo. Maybe your lo is doing this too? Mine did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UGH!!! I got touched out big time!

But he's 18 mo and finally through it. Also he did end up cutting molars about a month ago and I think they took a lot longer than the others. They might have hurt him before I even saw anything in there.

Sorry I don't have any good ideas. I just hung in there. It's hard but you can too!

Here is a kellymom link that might help, note the "velcro child" in the link

http://www.kellymom.com/parenting/velcrochild.html
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens