Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Owen had his 4 Month well-baby visit...

Default Owen had his 4 Month well-baby visit...

this morning and they started by going down their list of "does your 4 month old baby do this..." and of course, I have to say "no" to them. (They did this at his 2 month appt. too) I reminded them that he is 17 week but only 7 weeks adjusted age and said "it might be more beneficial to ask me the 2 month old questions since that's what his adjusted age is" and she looked at me and then kept asking the 4 month questions. It's so frustrating because I don't feel like they are looking at HIM. At least they could ask the 2 month and the 4 month questions! Then the doctor asked if we started cereal and I was totally shocked...I'm like he's developmentally 7 weeks old! And I told him we won't start cereal until he's around 6 months developmentally. He said we can start it anytime. Ugh. He was glad that we're EBF though as it's hard to do when your baby is in NICU for as long as Owen was. He also commented on how Owen has gained about 5lbs in 2 months...he currently weighs 11lbs 8oz. He said he wasn't too concerned about the weight gain, but they would watch it because that's a lot. So I'm concerned now - do preemies have a different weight gain that is "normal" besides the 4-8oz a week for a full term baby? I figure he's trying to "catch-up" in size.
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

Default Re: Owen had his 4 Month well-baby visit...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenniebean5 View Post
    So I'm concerned now - do preemies have a different weight gain that is "normal" besides the 4-8oz a week for a full term baby? I figure he's trying to "catch-up" in size.
    That's what my first thought was, but I don't have any experience with preemies. It sounds like he is doing great...good job mama!

I'm so sorry that they are being so insensitive about not asking questions related to his adjusted age. You would think that is what they would do in the first place!
    Penthouse

Mama to
    DS1 (9 years old...nursed for 7 months - how I wish this forum had been around back then!)
    DS2 (after nursing for a tad over two years, I *think* we are done )

Nolan's weight was always screwy. He got SUPER plump for a while (I thought it was so cute) and then as he started learning more things and developing more he thinned back out. I think he sounds just fine mama. You are doing a great job!

And for the ?'s. I always made them give me both sets of questionnaires. That way we could see where he may be ahead of the game, and where he was right on track. It IS hard to get the docs to see your baby as an "adjusted age" baby, but you have to repeat repeat repeat...and even with our doc now, who has a ton of preemies, I still have to remind her that no, I am NOT worried that he isn't talking yet, because in reality he is barely 16 months!

As far as foods go, we had the "start formula and solids" ped too, and we ended up switching doctors. I did a lot of reading about when to start him on solids, and found that although he was early, you can start solids pretty much on the same schedule if he was full term because his gut had to start working when he was born, so by 6 months it should be ready. Nolie was on an IV for a bit so we added that time in there, so we started solids at about 6 1/2 months just to be sure. So rest assured, if you want to, he would ok if you wanted to start around 6 months.

I think that you are doing a phenomenal job mama!
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    it sounds like you need a new ped!
    I know...but these are the ones affiliated with the NICU he was at - they saw him there when they covered for the Neonatologists. So I figured they knew more about preemies?

He kept saying that he looks good, which is awesome, but he kept talking and it was hard for me to get my questions in. Consequently, between that and the amount of time we waited, I gave up and will figure the rest of this out on my own. Emma was with me and she was so good, but we were there for 1 1/2 hours! Most of that was waiting. And, it's an office that has 5 doctors in it, so we see whoever. Which has good points (differing opinions/brains to pick) but also bad points (this Dr we saw today is different than the one we've been seeing and talking to on the phone lately about his possible milk allergies). I dunno. I'm going to talk to DH and some friends and see who recommends who.
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

I have no preemie advice and i would probably defer to Dr Hil if I did but, I did want to chime in on the Ped visit itself, First agree it sounds like you may need a different ped, i was in a similar boat in that I continued using the ped office that had seen DS in the hosp and at our admittance to children's at 5 days by way of an ER visit. I know it's not the same, you were there much longer in the NICU, but it sounds like it's a big office and IMO I felt like DS was LOST in a big office KWIM? we went with a 3 doc practice instead, it's really 2 FT docs and third PT doc to cover vacations and Saturdays etc... we love it, we can always get fit in and we never spend and hour waiting (like i did at the big office) for a 10 minute appearance by the doc (like at the big ped)
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

So I talked with DH about all this tonight and he would like me to talk with his Dr as he's a family practioner. The NICU recommended Owen see a pediatrician until he's 5 years old, but they said a lot of things I don't agree with. So what have others done with their preemies? What are some things I should ask/look for when interviewing Doctors?
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

I couldn't tell you about whether or not to go with a family doc or pedi...but a DIFFERENT doc sure sounds like a good plan. We see a family doc and he sits there and listens to every one of our questions. He doesn't ask the questionaire about development....he puts Joey on the table and examines her for these milestones. Every visit

I sure hope you can find someone that will listen to you and examine your CHILD, not a piece of paper or list.

BTW, it sounds like he is PERFECT!!! Weight gain is amazing and I would agree that he's probably just trying to play catch up. Congrats on doing such a great job BFing!!
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

We see a family doc as well and he has never gone down a checklist. He just asks about a few milestones, such as rolling over, crawling, talking. Or when they are real little he lifts them and see's how well they hold their head and how there muscle tone is.

I can't say I love everything about him, but I'm happy enough with him.

Jenn
    Mom to - DD1 10/5/05, DS 6/27/07 & DD2 6/18/09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenniebean5 View Post
    The NICU recommended Owen see a pediatrician until he's 5 years old, but they said a lot of things I don't agree with. So what have others done with their preemies? What are some things I should ask/look for when interviewing Doctors?
    We asked about their preemie experience. How many patients of theirs are preemies. What is their stand on vax and knowing up front we do not vax. Are they BF friendly and watching the actual reaction when you say "2 years or longer." How busy are they? If we call on Tuesday to get in can they accomodate? Nolan didn't have any underlying issues from being early, but if there were I would ask what their experience is with "xyz" as well.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Abby gains about an once a day or more. She gained 2lbs in the last 4 weeks alone. In one 2 week period she jumped 20% on the growth charts, so I think they must play catch-up And I know what you mean about the questions. She will go in for what I think would be a 3 month check up, and they are asking 6 month questions I glad that we have a home health nurse that comes out every two weeks and looks at her adjusted age. It makes it seem so much better because she is doing everything that a 5 month old should be doing and then some
    Hi, I'm Lisa, mommy to:
    *Emily Grace 12-13-06.weaned with at 3 1/2
    *Abigail 9-12-08 born at 28 weeks 2lbs 13oz-Now my 2 year old nursing chunky monkey
    Nursing after a 12 week stay in the NICU

: