Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ped's advice on solids

Default Ped's advice on solids

At lo's 6 month appt the dr recommended starting rice cereal claiming that breastfed babies need iron supplements. I know my LC told me that's not true but the dr insists that she needs iron though she never has been tested. I offered the cereal and she didn't like it. She really doesn't like the purees that I have made for her. I know it is normal for an 8 month old not to eat solids but her ped said to get her on a 3 meal a day schedule. We have her 9 month appt coming up and I don't know what to say when the ped starts on how she has to eat rice cereal for the iron. This ped is probably more supportive of breastfeeding than most in our area but she really pushes the rice cereal. My 8 month old does not need solids yet, does she? I thought they were just for practice up to a year? Is it ok to just offer solids every other day or so? Sorry for all the questions but I'm a first time mom and everyone I know said that their little ones had no problems with solids.
    ~ Theresa
    wife to Mike and mommy to Clara (9-5-08) 2 years and going strong!!

Default Re: Ped's advice on solids

Your ped needs to relax on the cereal!

Have you heard of baby led solids? That might work a little better for your LO than feeding her foods. With BLS the child decides what they want to eat, how much to eat, and I personally believe it helps them foster a better "respect" for food instead of being "force fed" something they may not want.

And her iron should be fine...mamas milk has enough iron stores for 6-9 months, and there are PLENTY of other ways to get iron than cereal.

Let me see if I can find some of the BLS threads for you.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

There are lots of foods that are rich in iron that are considerably better than cereal (which has "fortified" iron that doesn't get absorbed as well). Meats/poultry of course are high in iron, as are peas, sweet potato, watermelon, etc. I would offer whole foods for iron instead of processed foods as our bodies are better able to put the iron to work

Did you pedi check for an iron deficiency? Or is she just "guessing" that your lo's iron is low? Either way, cereal is not necessary.

While Hillary bumps the BLS threads, here's a great outside source: Baby Led Solids
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

The ped is just guessing on the iron because she claims that iron stores go down at 6 months. I don't think she has any research to back that claim though.
    ~ Theresa

Thanks so much! I'll check that out!
    ~ Theresa