Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Expanding his diet...

Default Expanding his diet...

I'm not sure whether this is better here or in the solids board, so I guess I'll double post. My little man is 17 months old. He is really resistant to table-food type solids. He eats jarred baby food and also home pureed sweet potatoes and apples. Within the last two months he has decided to accept stage 3 foods (labled for 9months, the ones with tiny pasta pieces or discernible oatmeal flakes) He loves cheese, crackers, and waffles. He eats lots of whole-fat yogurt. He has no sign of any allergies (no exposure to shellfish)

I'm not worried about calories or nutrition, but it would be nice to have him eat the things we eat. At daycare he ate a bit of chicken and rice last week (he goes once a week) but he won't do that at home. He is not interested eating the food on our plates. He wants to feed it to us but does not want it anywhere near his mouth. We've tried pureeing our food, and at least with veggie lasagna it was a no go.

Our pediatrician suggested that he might have a physical problem with his swallowing mechanism. My husband, my mom, and I think it's more about preferences than physiology. Any ideas on getting the little man to eat finger foods and food we're eating?

Default Re: Expanding his diet...

So at 17 months your child mainly eats pureed foods? It sounds as if he has a feeding delay. My toddler also had a feeding delay and he had the pleasure of going to feeding therapy. In our case, he was tongue tied and for a very long time was physically unable to lift his tongue and swallow. After he had tongue tie surgery, it was a mental thing... his confidence was very low and he thought he couldn't swallow although he actually could.

For the most part we did a lot of modeling with him in therapy and at home. A LOT of verbal praise and try to keep meals low-stress. Can you tell if your LO is gagging on any foods? Does it seem like he has some desensitized parts in his mouth?

So your LO likes cheese? If he eats cheese sticks, then try slim jims. They are similar shapes but different textures. We worked a lot with kid-friendly foods at first and slowly worked over to 'things that we were eating' on his plate too. Mine also had a hard time with meats, but he liked chicken nuggets and deli meats.

Agh there is so many things. How does your LO do with 2 textures at the same time? Feeding is all about textures. You should do 'messy play' with food as well, use puddings and let him get his hands in it.

If you're really concerned bring it up to your pedi. We found feeding therapy very helpful, and we only needed to go about 6 sessions until I felt we could figure out the rest on our own.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Thanks for the tips. We I had been thinking that it was just a preference thing, since he is progressing, just slowly. Your experience makes me think again.
    He can stick his tongue out really far, and he hasn't really gagged that I've noticed. What other things would you look out for?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lehall View Post
    Thanks for the tips. We I had been thinking that it was just a preference thing, since he is progressing, just slowly. Your experience makes me think again.
    He can stick his tongue out really far, and he hasn't really gagged that I've noticed. What other things would you look out for?
    Thanks
    Does he hate having his hands dirty, his hair washed, diaper changed, things like that? He could have some tactile defensiveness which carries over to the foods he will or won't eat. My DS had that as well and he went through some OT to help him overcome it a bit. That's why things like fingerpainting and messy play are really good too.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09