Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Question re: iron levels and starting solids

Default Question re: iron levels and starting solids

Hello all!

I have gone really slowly with introducing solids to my now 7.5 month old. Just yesterday we started doing it twice a day, once in the morning, which we've done for about a month, and now once after her last nap.
    I plan on breastfeeding for at least a year and am in no hurry to see my supply dip by giving her solids all the time. On the other hand, I keep reading about how I need to give my baby iron rich foods as she's over 6 months now. What's the consensus on this? I currently nurse her 4 times in the day and once at night.
    for 1 year so far! Woot!

Default Re: Question re: iron levels and starting solids

dr sears has some great info on iron on his web site...
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/t043100.asp

Next time you goto the pedi, have it checked. Takes only a minute and you will know for sure if her iron is okay.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

And don't let anyone tell you that it isn't possible for an exclusively, or predominately, breastfed baby to maintain adequate iron levels -- it is a complex and individual situation. I've known little ones who were eating plenty of solids but still had trouble maintaining adequate iron levels, and I have known others (my son included) who never had low iron levels in spite of being exclusively breastfed well past one year of age (almost 2 years in his case ). As the previous post said -- have it checked, and then you'll have much better information than the speculation about how to maintain a child's iron levels.
    Mama to Lorenzo, born 4/25/2007. NICU graduate, Gastro-Esohapgeal Reflux, Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Sensory Processing Disorder...alive and thriving thanks to breastfeeding and co-sleeping.

Those who say it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
    Chinese Proverb