Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: No let down?

Default No let down?

I am inducing lactation from scratch (no pregnancy ever, no meds, no herbs). I've been pumping for 12 weeks now. I pump every 2-4 hours. I get about 5 oz total in a 24 hour period. I have (hopefully) 7-9 weeks left before my babies (yes, twins) arrive...

So my question is this: I've never felt this "magical" let down that everyone always talks about. When I pump (I use a Medela Symphony) I do the stimulating cycle until I see a drop or two from each breast, then let it go to the pumping cycle. I don't feel any kind of change in my breasts when this happens. My mother happened to mention to me that she did not have let down when she breast fed us (all three of us were EBF). I hadn't even mentioned to her that I had never felt let down. So how common is this? I thought it was just because of the uniqueness of my situation, but if my mom (who never pumped) had the same experience I'm wondering if it is hereditary. Do you think this will cause any problems when my babies do arrive and I put them to my breast?

Thanks in advance!
    Niki
    Expectant mom to twins via surrogacy
    inducing lactation through pumping alone (no meds!)

Default Re: No let down?

Not every woman feels a let down. I only feel it sometimes, it is different for everyone. If the milk is coming there is no cause for concern at this point.
    It is fantastic that you are inducing milk production for you lo's. Congrats on the twins and welcome!!
    Meri

WE , ,, and now

Proud BF mommy to Mason and Graham
    Check out my blog

I got goosebumps reading your post! What an amazing thing you are doing. I am one of those women that don't feel the tell-tale letdown feeling.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

I am another person who has been nursing for a long time and still doesn't feel letdown. I know I'm having one when I hear my child start to swallow, or when I was pumping, I knew I was having one when all of a sudden I would see streams/squirts of milk instead of droplets.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

you might feal it once you get the babies to the breast, or you might not.
    Great Job mom!
    Be shure to check back and let us know how things go for you.
    You might just be able to help another mom out in the future.

Thank you all! I feel so much better knowing I'm not as unusual as I thought. It seems like everything I read states this let down feeling as something that ALWAYS happens and I have never seen anything that says you might not.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I knew I was having one when all of a sudden I would see streams/squirts of milk instead of droplets.
    I guess that leads me to another question... Sometimes I get sprays, but mostly it's just drops. Unless I'm hand expressing... I get sprays pretty easily with that. But the pump gets mostly drops (almost a stead flow, but not quite). I've noticed that after I finish pumping I can usually get quite a bit more with hand expression. But that can be so tedious and makes my hands tired! So is this just something that will get better with time, or should I be concerned?
    Niki

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*librarymama View Post
    I guess that leads me to another question... Sometimes I get sprays, but mostly it's just drops. Unless I'm hand expressing... I get sprays pretty easily with that. But the pump gets mostly drops (almost a stead flow, but not quite). I've noticed that after I finish pumping I can usually get quite a bit more with hand expression.
    What sort of pump do you have? Some mamas need a really top-of-the-line pump in order to get the best results. And have you seen a LC to make sure that the breast shields you are using are the correct size? Sometimes having shields that are too big or too small can make a lot of difference in effectiveness.

But for some moms, even the top-of-the-line pump and the right breastshields aren't the right tools for the job. If you are getting more milk with hand expression than you are with the pump, hand expression might be the right way to go for you. You might want to try combining hand expression with pumping, massaging the breast as you pump. Often that can help you get to maximum output.

It sounds like you are already well on your way to having a great milk supply! Keep up the great work!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    What sort of pump do you have? Some mamas need a really top-of-the-line pump in order to get the best results. And have you seen a LC to make sure that the breast shields you are using are the correct size? Sometimes having shields that are too big or too small can make a lot of difference in effectiveness.
    I'm renting a Medela Symphony from a LC. But I haven't had her check my breast shield size. I'll have to look into that. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Niki

I am inducing lactation from scratch (no pregnancy ever, no meds, no herbs). I've been pumping for 12 weeks now. I pump every 2-4 hours. I get about 5 oz total in a 24 hour period. I have (hopefully) 7-9 weeks left before my babies (yes, twins) arrive...
    WOW You rock momma!!
    Kristina Jeremiah since 2-18-1998
    Mother to
    2-02
    Gavin 1-03 Nursed 2.5mo
    Keean 5-04 BCLP
    Alexis 12-06 Nursed 12mo THEN
    Relactated after 5mo(due to her dairy intol.) and ended up making 30oz a day
    Now we are Weaned! AGAIN!
    Kason 6-2-10
    Birth..8 lbs 5.9 oz
    4 wks.... 10 lbs 12 oz
    9 wks.... 13 lbs 14 oz
    15wks... 16 lbs 4 oz
    17wks... 17 lbs 2 oz
    6 mo..... 19 lbs 6 oz
    7 mo .....20 lbs 3 oz

I'm renting a Medela Symphony from a LC. But I haven't had her check my breast shield size. I'll have to look into that. Thanks for the suggestion!
    I just wanted to let you know that I changed my breast shield size and increased the level I used on the pump and now I'm getting more sprays (from my right breast anyway) and my production has increased some too. Thanks so much for the advice!
    Niki