Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Frequently Will I Pump for a 1 Year Old?

Default Re: How Frequently Will I Pump for a 1 Year Old?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*janicelly View Post
    I feel like I am the oddball after reading all your posts cos I am still pumping 4x at work for DD who is 16 months. I still gotta send 16oz to the babysitter each day (DD is taking 2 solids meal). Actually I dont mind the pumping BUT I do wonder HOW & WHEN you all decide you wanna wean from pumping & just stick to nursing alone? I have never offer any other milk apart from EBM to DD.

Thanks.

i wasn't sure when to pump wean (and actually asked the very same Q on the pumping forums!) but always felt that ~1 year was about right for us. DS was eating more solids by 13-14 mos so i felt comfortable pump-weaning. he drinks water or diluted apple juice while i'm at work as well. he still BF enough that my pedi told me additional milk/dairy in his diet was unneccessary. DS reverse-cycled for several months though so my gradual pump-weaning was easy for both of us.

if you feel like the time is right for you, cut down on one pumping session at a time and see how it goes.

is your LO eating 2 solid meals a day total or did you mean that she was eating those 2 meals while with the sitter?
    JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!

She's eating 2 solids meal per day total & that 2 solids meal is taken at sitter's cos I am away from her from 8am til 7pm Mon to Fri. Actually I should be more clear in my 1st posting - my baby's diet is very, very different from your LOs cos we are Asian. Her main diet is rice porridge added with veggie + meat. My main concern is, IF I stop pumping & sending milk to the sitter, will that 2 solids meal be adequate to meet her nutritional needs ? Our diet dont include much cheese / dairy products too.

you could try gradually adding more solid meals and/or snacks into her diet. i would not advise that you stop pumping cold turkey though and really feel that tapering your pumping sessions down slowly would work best while your LO becomes accustomed to eating more solids. FWIW, my son does not regularly drink cow's milk and rarely eats cheese and his pedi is just fine with that. he receives those nutrients (calcium, vitamin D) from other foods, plus breastmilk.
    JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!

You can get needed calcium from a wide variety of sources, like dark green veggies, beans, nuts, etc. Here's a list of calcium rich foods.

That being said, since you are away from her so long during the day you might want to continue with at least one pumping session so she is still getting a little bit more breastmilk. It depends how much she nurses when you are together.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thanks for the tips & link. She'll nurse around 4 times (sometimes more) when I am home from evening until the next morning.

From the list of food, it's a bit difficult to incorporate those listed into her porridge - unless I prepare a separate snack for her (she's getting 2 meals + 1 fruit + 16oz EBM daily at sitter's so not sure have chance to squeeze another snack in or not). Will definitely try! Apart from that, they are other "taboos" that I have to work against (eg : no cold food/drinks for baby), so it's a bit hard.

Meanwhile, I'll just continue to pump as usual & see how it goes.

Thanks!