Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Frequently Will I Pump for a 1 Year Old?

Default How Frequently Will I Pump for a 1 Year Old?

I'm back at work and pumping, but am wondering how long I'll be pumping and at what rate. How often do you have to pump (how many times a day) to keep up milk supply for a 10 month old? A one year old? An eighteen month old? A two year old? Any advice is appreciated!

Default Re: How Frequently Will I Pump for a 1 Year Old?

When my dd was 10 mos I was pumping 2x per day- more to provide her with milk than to keep my supply up I think. I stopped pumping after she turned one but continued nursing until she was around 2. By that time your supply is well enough established that your milk will be there when you need it. I never had any problems nursing her in the evenings or on weekends. You can still pump past one if you want to continue to give your child expressed breast milk, it won't hurt anything, but it isn't necessary to maintain supply.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

This is good to know and thanks for the great advice because my 10 mo old lo is going through a nursing strike. I am still pumping a little to provide her with a 6-8 oz. bottle, but it makes me feel better that I don't really need to do that to keep up my supply....whew...I will still be pumping to replace a missed nursing strike, but I won't worry so much.

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

This is a timely thread for me. My DD is 11 mos. and I work 4 days. During those days I pump 2x at work. Will I still have to pump when she is a year becuase I'm not at home with her? It would be 12 hours or so between nursings if I didn't.

TIA,
    E.

At 10mos I was pumping 3x's a day. I started pump weaning at 14mos and was completely done pumping by 16mos. I continued to nurse DD at night and on weekends until 21mos. When I pump weaned I dropped one session at a time, a few weeks at a time, but kept one session a day for a month or so.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

when you pump weaned, did you also drop a session when you were with your lo on the weekends?

I've found that I'm still about to nurse her during the day on the weekends even without pumping. I do get concerned about how much bm she is getting, but her diaper output has been totally fine.

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*eelme.eelme1 View Post
    when you pump weaned, did you also drop a session when you were with your lo on the weekends?

I've found that I'm still about to nurse her during the day on the weekends even without pumping. I do get concerned about how much bm she is getting, but her diaper output has been totally fine.
    I did not change our nursing pattern at all when I pump weaned. She still nursed frequently when we were together.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    I did not change our nursing pattern at all when I pump weaned. She still nursed frequently when we were together.
    same here.

when DS turned 1 year, i was pumping 1x a day while at work and weaned totally from the pump by 14 mos, i believe. i rarely pumped when at home, so it did not affect DS and his BF pattern at all.
    JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!

I feel like I am the oddball after reading all your posts cos I am still pumping 4x at work for DD who is 16 months. I still gotta send 16oz to the babysitter each day (DD is taking 2 solids meal). Actually I dont mind the pumping BUT I do wonder HOW & WHEN you all decide you wanna wean from pumping & just stick to nursing alone? I have never offer any other milk apart from EBM to DD.

Thanks.

I had always figured I'd stop around 1 year, though I was willing to go longer. I was still pumping 1-2 times/day at 13 mos when her daycare provider told me she would no longer drink from a bottle, so I just stopped pumping altogether at that point. They started offering her cow milk at dc, but it was months before she would drink it.
    --Anonymous