Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 8.5 month old not eating much solids yet?

Default 8.5 month old not eating much solids yet?

DS is 8.5 months (almost 9 months) and hasn't eaten that much solids yet. So far he's tried rice cereal (didn't really like it), bananas (liked it), apples (didn't care for them), yams (okay), sweet potatoes (okay), carrots (okay), avocados (didn't care for them), papayas (didn't care for them) and zucchini (okay). I know his main source of nutrition is still BM, but is it normal for him not to eat more solids at this age? I was going to try BLS, but ended up steaming and mashing the food and feeding him by spoon instead. I did give him a piece of banana once and he picked it up, but ended up just mashing it in his hand. He does look interested in our food, but when I try to feed him, sometimes he'll shake his head and refuse to open his mouth and other times, he'll open his mouth and eat only a few small spoonfuls before shaking his head.

I guess I'm a little concerned because my parents told me to try to feed him more solids otherwise he won't want to eat much when he gets older, but I don't want to pressure him if he doesn't want to eat. I do try to offer him food most of the time, but some days I don't bother. Should I be offering more often? Should I really be concerned yet?
    I'm Anna
    Proud mama to my 2 little high needs "koala bears":

Ethan born 8/23/08
    Bfed for 22 months, weaned with love 7/2010

Lucas, born 1/6/11
    Nursing strong for 19 MONTHS!

Cloth diapering 1 full-time even though I'm constantly ! Currently in potty training mode. We also and

Default Re: 8.5 month old not eating much solids yet?

Our parents always know best...according to them!
    For the first year of their life solids is actually an experience and experiment not a necessity. DD didn't start solids till about 8m as well and you're actually way ahead of it then we were. She's 15m now and LOVES her solid food. She of course is at the picky stage right now so everything is hit and miss but she's been a pretty good eater thus far and eats a lot of things that I don't even like.
    They eat when they want to eat. As my ped said, she won't starve herself, let her choose when she's hungry and what she wants to eat. As they get into the toddler age they will have meals that they devour and some meals that they will only eat 2-3 pieces of food, which worried me but according to things I've read and ofcourse my Ped, you need to look at what they eat on a weekly basis not on a daily basis.

You're the momma and times have changed whether our parents like it or not (my mom thinks she knows what's best as well). You know what's best for your DS and when in doubt about how to explain yourself to them just tell them the PED said so, that always works for mine (even though she sometimes swears she knows more than the ped ).
    First time mom of Cristiana Veronika

Born on 1/26/08 (@ 36 wks) weighing 5 lbs 14 oz

and

+ = happy baby

Sounds pretty normal to me - each LO gets into solids when THEY are ready.

We did baby led solids starting at 6 mo and my DS didn't really eat more than a nibble until he was about 8.5 or 9 mo.

At the time I thought he'd NEVER start eating solids. Then he really took off and has been a great eater ever since.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

My little guy is 17 months. He didn't really get into solids until about 13 months. (even though we started offering at 6mo) He still won't do BLS type stuff, but he eats yogurt, cheese,crackers, waffles, and just about anything pureed. We're definitely behind the curve, but he's growing well and happy so we're going with it. Don't worry. Your kiddo will go for it when she's ready.

My lo is also 8.5 months and doesn't eat solids. I wouldn't worry about it. I am afraid of what my ped might say because they all think that rice cereal is a necessity but other than that I am sure she will eat when she is ready so I don't worry.
    ~ Theresa
    wife to Mike and mommy to Clara (9-5-08) 2 years and going strong!!

Whew! Glad to hear these replies, good question~ I was just about to ask the same thing myself, Annabella is almost 8 months and the most she's eaten were like 6 small spoonfulls of baby yogurt and a few spoonfulls of pears smashed, she doesn't like too much else, also smashed the banana instead of eating it, lol, she doesn't seem to like the "baby food" already jarred so I guess I have just been lazy on trying to make more myself..but glad to hear the reassurance about them only needing BM for the first year!
    We just and I am non-stop and we have always and now we are finding our groove with I can't believe it, but I am also and there's alot of going on with Annabella. This mama couldn't be more grateful for the two most important loves of her life, and my natural ability to instinctively follow my heart according to what I later learned as "Attachment Parenting"

Gave birth to a beautiful little girl Annabella

9-25-08

Gave birth to a second beautiful little baby girl Brynleigh

4-30-10

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommyofanangel View Post
    she doesn't seem to like the "baby food"
    You may want to look at "baby led solids".

It basically skips purees and goes directly to appropriate finger foods. Baby gets to decide what & how much she wants to eat.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)