Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Problems with my Ameda Purely Yours

Question Problems with my Ameda Purely Yours

I just tried pumping with my new (second-hand) Ameda Purely Yours pump. It's been a while since DD nursed so I expected to get a lot from both breasts, but for some reason, I got 3 ounces from the right breast and barely a few drops from the left. Usually I use a manual Medela pump and manage to get about 2 ounces from each breast.

I'm wondering if it's the pump or me...Has anyone experienced problems with their Purely Yours pump?

Default Re: Problems with my Ameda Purely Yours

I had a Purely Yours, too, and a few months into pumping, the motor lost power. I called Ameda and they overnighted me a new one, no questions asked. That might be worth a try--they may be able to troubleshoot for you. Good luck!

I STILL have that problem, LOL. I get about 3 from the right and just a few drops from the right. So I have started pumping one side at a time (such a drag) but I can do breast compressions and massage my left breast to get a few ounces out.

Check your tubes for holes, make sure your white valves are on tight and that there are no tears in them...that will cause the pump to lose suction.

Good luck. If you're getting that much out of the right, I don't think it would be the motor. Maybe your left boob doesn't like to let down for the pump
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

But why would my left boob let down for the Medela hand pump but not for the Ameda electric pump? Lefty is smaller and less productive than righty, but geez. I'll check the tubes and valves tomorrow...

Is there a danger in not pumping as much from one side as from the other (as in having "lopsided supply")?

I always produced more on the right side (nursing or pumping), but it wasn't a problem, just a difference. I think for me it was because I was more comfortable nursing him on the right, so he probably had more time there even though I tried to keep it pretty even, KWIM?

You might try a different sized horn for your left boob. Mine is the same way- always produces less.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

with PP's. The little white valves make a difference. Make sure there are no chips or holes. Just buy some brand new if you've not done that already. Also make sure that everything is put together ok and that the tubes are all snug.

It could also be a "getting to know" the pump thing. Play with the settings a little, going up is not usually the answer, often you'll want to go a little lighter on suction or speed to get a better let down.

You also want to make sure EVERYTHING is pretty much dry before using. I noticed if the valves or the clear caps still had drops of water from when I washed them the night prior, the did not suck as efficiently. I started paper drying them every time before I used them just to make sure, and it worked pretty well.
    But I agree with PP about 1 producing more than the other but that should not be a huge factor if when you're using a single you get a good amount.

You need to take into account though that double pumps make life easier because they pump 2 at a time but I want to say that even in the instructions they mention about getting a higher output when you use it one breast at a time. It's mechanics and physics. If you use it on one breast at a time, you have the power of the suction only working on that one pump but once you open the valve to two pumps then you break that power in half in order to double your effort, so you're technically getting half the power at each breast when you use it for 2 at a time. (this is true for any double pump). So your pump may be working just fine, but since you're breaking that suction power in half your less productive breast may just be even less productive on that pump.
    First time mom of Cristiana Veronika

Born on 1/26/08 (@ 36 wks) weighing 5 lbs 14 oz

and

+ = happy baby