Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help! New Mom with Lopsided Breasts

Unhappy Help! New Mom with Lopsided Breasts

Hello - I am a new Mom of a beautiful healthy baby girl. My problem is lopsided breasts, one is an E the other is barely a C. I have done all the idea's in the books, start her feeding on the small side, go back to it if she still wants to nurse, pump that side, etc. I have not taken any herbs or medications because I don't want to over do the larger breast. I know she is getting enough to eat, she started life as an 11 lb. 2 oz. baby and at 1.5 months she is at 14 pounds, I just want to make sure I'll have enough to keep up when I go back to work in a month. Also if I can't get things to straighten out, anyone have any good bra's they can recommend for this problem. I'm feeling like half a pubecent teen having to "stuff" one side. Thanks for all the help!! I am going to need it...

Default Re: Help! New Mom with Lopsided Breasts

Well, welcome to the boards!

It sounds like other than being a little lop-sided, things are going great! Your dd has gained almost 3 pounds in 6 weeks-you definitely have lots of milk!! I wouldn't worry at this point about keeping up with her needs when you return to work. Just enjoy this time-nurse on cue and your body will keep making what she needs/demands. You actually may have a slight oversupply, but again I wouldn't worry too much just yet. Sometimes it takes the body a while to even out. We typically suggest 4-6 weeks to get everything in line-so you may notice things changing at some point.

It is very normal for some women to have one breast that is larger than the other, and also to have one that produces more milk. The only concern is cosmetic at this point! Anyone else ever have such lopsidedness??

I have the same problem. I'm lopsided and the larger one produces at least 1-2 ounces more per feeding. I get the joys of two kinds of problems -- overupply and forceful letdown in one breast and undersupply in the other. I did everything you suggested and eventually things became less lopsided.

Talking Re: Help! New Mom with Lopsided Breasts

Thank you for the responses! I know it is more cosmetic than anything, I really am not that vain it's just wierd to look at and buy for. I just don't want my supply to become short because of the one smaller breast. I am keeping up with the starting on that side and I am trying to pump that side more often. I start work in a couple of weeks, wish me luck. Thanks again for the help and encouragement I find in all the postings!

Smile Re: Help! New Mom with Lopsided Breasts

My favorite nursing bra was made by Medela style #98. So comfortable and stretchy!!

Angi

Thanks, I'll look into that one!!