Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4-mo arching back, crying

Default 4-mo arching back, crying

I'm so desperate for help. My almost-4-month-old daughter has started arching her back and screaming during her afternoon and evening feedings. I have tried varying positions (cradle, lying down, her sitting up), moving to another room, burping, rocking, and walking to no avail. Last night I finally pumped a bottle and she guzzled it down hungrily and went to sleep.

I'm not sure if any of these details matter:

* She has been sleeping through the night (8 PM to 6 AM) for a few weeks
    * She has been exclusively BF with very occasional pumped bottles (once every few weeks)
    * I think I have very quick letdown (sometimes milk spurts out in a jet) but this doesn't seem to bother her in the AM feedings
    * She seems healthy and she's growing longer and getting plump

However, despite these good signs (e.g. growth, sleep), the crying at feedings is making me feel rejected by my daughter and I'm totally demoralized. I thought breastfeeding was supposed to be a beautiful bonding experience, but now so many feedings end in tears for one or both of us. Please, please, please if anyone has ideas or encouragement for me, I would be so grateful.

Default Re: 4-mo arching back, crying

Does she have reflux? If LO has reflux they will arch back and cry, even if she isn't spitting up a lot it could be silent reflux. My DS has silent reflux and he wasn' diagnosed with it until he was 3 1/2 months old because he never would spit up a lot. Hope that helps!

I have no insight into your problem - but how did you get yr lo to sleep like that
    I'm Melissa, DD (01/12/2009) weaned at a little over 2 1/2 years

Can it be reflux if she only protests at some of her feedings? She nurses well at the first two feedings of the day, but gets progressively worse as the afternoon/evening progresses.

As for sleep, I think I'm just lucky. From the beginning I fed her every 2.5-3 hrs through the day and then whenever she woke at night on her own. At night, I kept things dark and quiet and then straight back to bed.

Is it possible that she actually wants the forceful letdown and through the course of the day as your flow gets less strong she gets frustrated because it's not coming fast enough?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    Is it possible that she actually wants the forceful letdown and through the course of the day as your flow gets less strong she gets frustrated because it's not coming fast enough?
    DD does this at night. Once it gets going she calms down, but as I run low she starts pulling off and protesting so we switch sides. We used to do just one side per feeding during the day and night, but now her last two feedings are an hour apart and the very last one uses both sides. Since I started doing this she's calmed down a bit.

I know you said you tried burping - she cries and arches her back when she has to burp but also when she has to fart. So before bed I lay DD down and rub her belly then push her knees to her chest and hold for 30 seconds or so. We do that then alternate with bicycle kicks a few times to get the gas out. She is the gassiest little thing.
    I'm Melissa, DD (01/12/2009) weaned at a little over 2 1/2 years