Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Balancing nursing (and breast milk) with solids

Default Balancing nursing (and breast milk) with solids

My daughter is 10.5 mo. old and nurses 3-5 times a day plus a 6 oz. bottle at daycare. She eats three small meals everyday (we are doing BLS - so she's in charge of how much she puts in her mouth!) I've read some about this, but I'm still confused about how to make the solid/breastmilk/nursing thing work. How do I measure the 25% solids and 75% breastmilk?

She seems much less interested in nursing - I still feed her twice during the night in her sleep to get some bm into her. I hope her being less interested is just a phase and she will come around to being more interested again soon.

Any thoughts?

I'm Erica

Mommy to "C" - currently 3 and half years old
    - nursed for one year

and mommy to "M" - currently 2 years old
    - nursed for 23 months

Wife to my handsome DH for 5 and a half years!

Default Re: Balancing nursing (and breast milk) with solids

Do you mean you nurse 2 times at night in addition to the 3-5 times/day or is that included in the total?

I never really measured a percentage. From what I understand, the main source of nutrition until 1 year should be breast milk and solids are just for fun. I think as long as you nurse before solids so she's not filling up before nursing you'll be good. And if you feel her nursing is dropping off, you can drop a solids meal and see if it picks back up.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

The nursing at night makes 5 times...the other times she nurses it's quite short. I think I'm going to skip dinner with her for a few days and see if that helps. thanks for your advice.

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months

What I do with DS is try to stick to 3 meals/day of solids. I wait until he's nursed well, then offer him as much solids as he wants. Then when he's hungry/thirsty next, I nurse him again. It seems to be working well for my supply. I found snacks really sabotage his desire to nurse.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

I'm doing 2 meals right now (we cut out dinner) so I guess i'm ok. The trouble is that I work full time so nursing her directly before meals isn't an option.

What kinds of snacks did you find hurt the nursing?

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months

Does her dcp give her a solids meal? You might ask them to make sure and offer the bottle before the solids.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

She won't take it before the solids...

And now, we're dealing with not wanting to nurse in the evenings and before bed. Last night she refused to nurse in the evening and refused the bottle.

I decided not to give her solids for dinner - and she seemed to do ok - woke up twice during the night to nurse?????

10 months is an interesting age for nursing...

I'm Erica

- nursed for one year

- nursed for 23 months

Eelme we are in the same exact boat as you. My DD is a few days from 11 mos and I'm sometimes literally wrestling with her to try to get her to feed.

I feel a little guilty at the thought of holding back meals to make her hungry enough to nurse so I haven't tried that yet. What worries me most is her not getting enough liquids. I don't give her anything else.

An interesting age it is......Off to browse the weaning section.

E.

How are things now, eelme?

We had a hard time around 10 months too, but we got through it and I"m sure you can too.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.