Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Does this make sense?

Default Does this make sense?

Hi mama's,

I've written a couple posts about this on the allergy board.

Just for a little background info--my 3 mo ds has been having extremely mucousy poops now for almost 2 weeks, some with what may be streaks of blood (I can't quite tell). I immediately thought of allergy because my older ds had a milk allergy when he was an infant. So I eliminated all obvious sources of dairy from my diet 6 days ago, and haven't seen any improvement in his stools. As of yesterday I've been reading lables to make sure I don't consume any hidden dairy. We saw his doctor this morning and he agreed that it's probably due to allergy, and for me to continue being DF for a couple more weeks. And if nothing improves, to bring him back in.
    So in the meantime, I've been doing a ton of internet research, and came across this post from another forum. I'm wondering if anybody can tell me if this post makes sense? Some of it confused me a bit.

i know this post is months old - but in case someone else is searching for answers in the future (I know I exhausted every possible google search for mucous/bloody diapers, allergy, etc.) My 3 month old has had mucousy diapers off & on for nearly 2 months - for about a 2 week span he'd have a streak of blood in his diaper too. We had regular, frequent pediatrician appts to check his weight, etc. The pedi wanted me to start him on allimentum or nutramigen for a cow's milk protein allergy...but i had eliminated dairy from my diet for nearly 3 weeks and he was still having the problems. (I've read lots of places that it can take up to 3 weeks for the protein to clear your body and not pass along to the baby...so try the elim diet at least that long before giving up). Apparently it's very rare for an infant to truly be lactose intolerant. I finally found a lactation consultant at the hospital who said our problem was my oversupply of b'milk! I had been feeding off 1 side at ea feeding so that he'd get more hindmilk (and thus furthering my oversupply by stimulating breast for up to 40min at a feeding). She recommended that I lay down flat on my back on the bed or couch & let him lay on top of me like a turtle to nurse. Not easy to do at first but he was almost to the point of being able to hold up his head...and now it's SO much easier that he can. Within 48 hours, he was a NEW baby! Happier, less gassy, less crying/screaming, tummy less distended, smiling/laughing/cooing. The change was unbelievable! By laying flat on my back, the foremilk and hind milk had a better chance of mixing due to gravity. When I used to sit up to nurse, he'd get a flood of foremilk w/o even having to work for it. Another tip from the LC, latch & unlatch several times once milk let down happens. This lets the foremilk run back into breast & pick up more fat milk. Hope this helps someone else. I know I spent almost 3 months straight of sleepless nights & days - looking online, calling anyone & everyone for help, worrying about my lil one. We're definitely on the track to a healthier digestive system now! (I also took probiotics to balance my system - not sure if they helped but certainly didn't hurt. Used the refrigerated kind w/ live bacteria)

I'm trying to feed him this way (with him on top of me), but it's a lot harder than I thought (because it certainly can't hurt to try!)! He doesn't seem comfortable with his head turned, and I'm concerned that he won't be able to empty the breast well. Any pointers or tips on how to get more comfortable in this postion? Should I be lying completely flat, or be at a slight incline?

FYI, I did have a problem with oversupply, so I block fed (3 hour blocks) for awhile, and that took care of it. I went back to one breast per feed, and the oversupply came back. Went back to 3 hour blocks again, and my supply seemed to REALLY decrease in only a couple of days. So I'm now back to one breast per feed, and that seems to really be working for us. However, in the last day or two I've noticed that my breasts are a LOT softer and dont' seem as full as before, I'm assuming it's just my supply regulating? So I don't know if this buisness of the mucousy poops being due to the oversupply apply to me or not...

Any opinions are appreciated!

Punky
    Mommy to L - May 7, 07' , B - February 7, 09' , and R - August 18, 12'

Default Re: Does this make sense?

my ds has always had mucousy poops and i immediatly thought dairy allergy also...although mucousy poops and reflux was his only sign of a could be allergy..he was gaining weight excellently and had no rashes.of course i went to many doctors and they told me formula everytime and were breastfeeding ignorant but i didn't listen and eliminated dairy instead..wich did not improve anything...by then i was fed up and got a lc consultant and she figured i had oversupply..my ds is on solids so his poops have become thicker but i do notice a bit of mucous sometimes and i still have os but he is a very happy baby so i don't worry about it...but it sounds like you situation is very simailar to mine..hopes this helps you feel better!

**Tricia**
    Married to DH since July '07
    Mommy to Logan born 09/10/08

How long have you been dairy free? I saw that you were searching for hidden dairy (which is dairy in indirect foods like bread, crackers, sauces, etc.) are you eliminating all dairy? FYI it can take up to 4-6 weeks for the protein to get completely out of your lo's system. Do you consume much soy? Many babies who are sensitive to dairy are also sensitive to soy. Considering the severity of your lo's reaction, that is something you might also consider eliminating from your diet. Hang in there!
    Renee
    LLL Leader

I've eliminated all obvious sources of dairy for a week now, and I've only been reading lables since yesterday, since I haven't seen any improvement in his stools. Today he didn't poop at all which has never happened...
    I have noticed that soy is in just about everything, but I haven't eliminated it yet. I think I'll try the dairy and see how it goes...

Punky
    Mommy to L - May 7, 07' , B - February 7, 09' , and R - August 18, 12'

It doesn't really sound like oversupply is your issue, but FWIW I always found it easiest to nurse lying down on my side. No "turtle" required

I would urge you to continue with the dairy elimination, and strongly suggest you eliminate soy as well, just since there is such a strong correlation. If there's no change, you can always try adding it back in, right?
    Jess

Mama to my little Roxie Roo, 06/11/08

April miles for TBTTW: 63

The best thing is to eliminate ALL sources of dairy. You'll need to give it 4-6 weeks for the dairy to be out of your system. You should start to see improvement before then, but maybe not quite yet. Hang in there.
    Renee
    LLL Leader