Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stopping after 21 months!

Default Stopping after 21 months!

I have to say that this is a happy and sad time for me. DD is 21 months old and tonight we are putting her in her big girl bed, and I'm going to stop nursing!!! DD has only been nursing to go to sleep since she was about a year old. I've tried the whole weaning thing and it just doesn't work for her. So I'm hoping that tonight she gets so excited about being in her big girl bed that she won't want to nurse! I know it's going to be a long night, and I'm sad, but happy at the same time! I'm wanting to start to try and have another baby, and I just can't with her demanding to be with me constantly! So a tearful goodbye to BFing! I'm gonna cry tonight!!! Please wish me luck! And thanks for all your help over the last two years!!!
    Wife to my childhood sweetheart Joey since 12/07/06
    Mother to my baby girl Abigail Rae Perkins born 08/05/07

Default Re: Stopping after 21 months!

You need it! I am right there with you. I logged in today to see or talk about the very same thing! My #2 DD is 22 months. I nursed #1 DD 21 months. So I feel great that we have made it so long. But, I am ready. She is not. I weaned my #1 DD almost cold turkey. We were not making progress slowly cutting out feedings, as she was a comfort nurser and so it her little sis. Neither took a paci or bottle. So, I picked a day and we sang a little song "All Done Nummies" and it was SO HARD! At times I felt she was mad at me and would reject my affection. But after a couple days it was fine. I want to put my DD in her big girl bed too, but am waiting till she is weaned. One step at a time...then potty training! Whew! Hang in there!
    JEN
    Happy Wife of 20 years to J~
    Mommy to DD E~ 9/22/04 BF 21 months
    Mommy to DD H~ 7/2/07 BF 27 months CD'd from 10 mos on!
    Mommy to DD A~ 7-14-10 All cloth, and Potty Trained at 2 1/2. Still Nursing!
    I grow an organic garden, homeschool, and really feel blessed to be a SAHM!

Great job!!! We made it to 21mos as well and weaned last month. It is bitter sweet indeed. But, I think (and hope) that you find it isn't as hard on either of you as you anticipated. My DD is just a cuddly and snuggly and now we sing Twinkle Twinkle (she sings along) and cuddle in our nursing chair before bed and it is still a special time shared between the two of us.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

Well I spent one last night nursing, and then lastnight, it was bath time, story time, prayers, and crawl into the big girl bed!!! For about 30 minutes she cried off and on just saying hold me momma, I just kept laying her back down, and then I gave her a cup with some milk in it, and she layed down and went to sleep...I walked out of her room and crawled into my husbands arms and sobbed!!! I knew that I was done Breastfeeding! That I would never get to nurse her again, and it broke my heart! So off to bed I went....well at 1:00 am she woke up, so to her room I went "running" and she cried for an 1 and 1/2 straight, finally she went back to sleep for about 45 minutes and then woke again (still hadn't asked for milk) at this point it was a little after 3 am. We ended up being awake until almost 5 am and around 4 am she finally asked for milk, I just explained that mommy's milk was all gone,that she had drank it all, I finally had to make a palet in her room and just lay down with her to get her to go to sleep...Then up at 6:00 am for work this morning. I'm hoping tonight goes better...and words of advice would be great! And good luck to the other moms who are going through the same thing!!!

Night 2 went amazing!!! Abby NEVER even asked to nurse all night last night! This whole weaning thing has gone WAY better than I thought it would! We started bedtime at about 9:30. I tried the whole lay her down walk out of the room, and when she came out, I would just take her hand, and take her back to her bed, kiss her, and lay her down. Well this went on for about an hour, and then she started to think it was a game. She would come running out of her room, laughing which made it very hard for me to be stern. I wanted to laugh right along with her. So finally I just sat in the rocking chair in her room, and she just went to sleep, with no assistance! She slept from 10:30 until about 3:30. I went in her room, and patted her butt for maybe 2 minutes and she was back asleep. She woke again at 5:30, and I did the same thing. She slept until 6 am, and at that point I was getting up to get ready for work, so I got her up fed her breakfast, and off to work and school we went! I am so proud of her and me! So I heard a mom on her mention getting her self some jewelry for this milestone, and I believe I'm going to do the same thing!!! Thanks for listening and I will keep you updated! Lets pray the weekend goes well!!!

glad night 2 went beter..

Great job mama!! Those first couple nights are hard because the LOs are so used to the old routine. But they really do adjust so quickly. I'm sure you will find, like I did, that each day gets easier and easier. I get such joy now cuddling and rocking and singing to her before bedtime...that few minutes of alone time of just her and I...and knowing that we can share that even without BF. And I find it empowering that I am capable of mothering her in a totally new way.

And it was me that said I was going to get myself some jewelry. I haven't yet. Still can't make up my mind!!! With a new LO on the way I want it to be something I can add to.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

THANKS FOR ALL THE SUPPORT AND ADVICE!!! LOVE MY LLL LADIES!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*abbysmom View Post
    Well I spent one last night nursing, and then lastnight, it was bath time, story time, prayers, and crawl into the big girl bed!!! For about 30 minutes she cried off and on just saying hold me momma, I just kept laying her back down, and then I gave her a cup with some milk in it, and she layed down and went to sleep...I walked out of her room and crawled into my husbands arms and sobbed!!! I knew that I was done Breastfeeding! That I would never get to nurse her again, and it broke my heart! So off to bed I went....well at 1:00 am she woke up, so to her room I went "running" and she cried for an 1 and 1/2 straight, finally she went back to sleep for about 45 minutes and then woke again (still hadn't asked for milk) at this point it was a little after 3 am. We ended up being awake until almost 5 am and around 4 am she finally asked for milk, I just explained that mommy's milk was all gone,that she had drank it all, I finally had to make a palet in her room and just lay down with her to get her to go to sleep...Then up at 6:00 am for work this morning. I'm hoping tonight goes better...and words of advice would be great! And good luck to the other moms who are going through the same thing!!!
    OMG! As I read this, I imagined it all in my head, a visual, kind of like a movie. I cried. All these weaing stories make me sooooooo sad! I DREAD the day.
    Mommy to Liam born 10/13/2008
    Breastfeeding since Day 1

Breastfed ds for 15 months and cherished every minute of it!!

We love and

I know...It was so hard for me to do!!! But I'm glad she is making it easy on me! I have a GREAT little girl! And HOPEFULLY I will be doing it all over again soon enough!!!