Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breasts empty after pumping but not nursing

Default Breasts empty after pumping but not nursing

Can someone explain to me why my breasts always feel very empty (saggy, flat, deflated) after a day of pumping at work (3 times, double-pump), but they always feel full after a day of staying home with my daughter and nursing exclusively? In fact, if DD doesn't wake to nurse at night, I still awaken slightly engorged! She has always been satisfied, only nurses on one breast at a time, and has been gaining weight well. But, she will be 1 tomorrow, and this has been going on since Day 1... I've tried pumping just one breast 3 times a day at work, but this has resulted in plugged ducts.
    Mommy to Baby K, born 5-13-08 after 30 hours of labor and a c-section

Pumped for 30 months

3 years of breastfeeding and counting!!!!

I'm a (breastfeeding) (vegetarian) mama!

Default Re: Breasts empty after pumping but not nursing

The only thing I can think of seems counter-intutive, but when many women are with their LOs their bodies make more milk than when they are away and with thepump. Many women in fact pump a lot more on Monday cuz they've been with LO all weekend and LO has triggered their body to produce more milk. ...just a thought
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2babyk View Post
    Can someone explain to me why my breasts always feel very empty (saggy, flat, deflated) after a day of pumping at work (3 times, double-pump), but they always feel full after a day of staying home with my daughter and nursing exclusively? In fact, if DD doesn't wake to nurse at night, I still awaken slightly engorged! She has always been satisfied, only nurses on one breast at a time, and has been gaining weight well. But, she will be 1 tomorrow, and this has been going on since Day 1... I've tried pumping just one breast 3 times a day at work, but this has resulted in plugged ducts.
    This happens to me too. Sometimes, my LO only nurses one side, while I always double pump, so maybe that's a peice of it. Also, I tend to be more relaxed when I'm home with LO, so maybe more milk is made? Also, maybe I drink more water? All of these are just ideas, but I experience the same thing!
    Ellen

Mama-surgeon;
    DS Ethan 12/16/2008
    Breast fed/pumped 11 months as a surgical resident, 80 hours a week at work
    DS Abram Daniel 12/20/2012
    Feel like we've gotten a strong start

The theory that I'm producing more when with my LO vs the pump makes complete sense to me and makes me feel much better! It also helps to know I'm not alone here. Now I can stop worrying. ha! Thank you!!
    Mommy to Baby K, born 5-13-08 after 30 hours of labor and a c-section

Pumped for 30 months

3 years of breastfeeding and counting!!!!

I'm a (breastfeeding) (vegetarian) mama!